Project to adapt Blender to archiviz under way.

See this page initiated by Campbell Barton:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/BlenderArchiProject

Jean

Glad to see some archi-attention here. Personally would like to see the visualization of measurements included as a priority. My work arounds in the past have been printing out with toon settings and writing measurements in by hand = charming but not exactly professional looking. Tool I probably miss most? Offset. Hope this goes somewhere :slight_smile:

patdog:

you should like Macouno’s Caliper script then…
http://www.alienhelpdesk.com/python_scripts/caliper

The point is : there are always workaround. For example anyone who’s been working in Blender for any length of time knows that in fact 1 blender unit = 1 meter. This stands for the defaults in the lighting system, for the fluid simulation and in many other cases. The workaround has been to imagine that 1 blender unit = 1 (whatever) and scale the model once finished.
It’s a mess for at least two reasons :

• a model is never finished
  • the grid snaps are never in the right place if one is using a different unit system : imperial, american but also historical ones like shakkan-hô, old russian for archeology purposes or imaginary ones like in some role playing games or epic fictions like Hibernia. The algorithm to adapt the grid to any of these system isn’t a brain blaster and would really put Blender ahead in that domain.

Well, off to work, in american units, mostly.

Have a good day. :slight_smile:

Jean

Right with you there Jean, but easy is something else. [Latest Blender installed with correct Python and the C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender.blender\scripts folder is no-where to be found. The Alienhelpdesk guide does thus not apply anymore. Can open Caliper Script with text editor and Alt-P, but it’s a rather clunky approach.] Guess at the end of the day we users are lazy, and want to learn what we can do intuitively without resorting to scripts or third party patches that do only one thing anyway. Alan Brito wrote an online guide to the Caliper script, but didn’t include it in his new book - Blender 3D: Architecture, Buildings, and Scenery… for a reason?

Visualization and mockups only have technical value if they are based on accurate proportions, and distances are constantly needing to be confirmed and checked. Drawings often go back and forth and are adjusted countless times. As most architects are working with some sort of CAD application it would be beneficiary to have some sort of common understanding of scale. For a large part it’s just about communicating. To give a simple example: Designer on my shoulder asks, “Push that wall out a bit more - stop, there looks good - how far is that?” …and then [depending on Blender scale] finding the Edge Length button, sometimes zooming, translating, squinting to try read what’s been done - as opposed to double clicking and reading the property indicator…

I haven’t touched Windows in years but I just saw, almost accidentally, in one of the Bits of Blender videos, that to avoid that problem one who is using the Windows installer must not just go with the default (first option) but install in the application folder and then Blender will find its scripts.
Also, you can make a second directory where you’ll keep your personnal scripts and the non-official, non-distributed-with-Blender ones then indicate in the Preference window where it sits and they will appear in the list of scripts too.

Guess at the end of the day we users are lazy,

Well, I consider myself just a regular bloke who is trying to make a living and for this ‘easy’ can may be the difference between decent earnings and pulling the devil by the tail. (Adapted from a French saying)

and want to learn what we can do intuitively without resorting to scripts or third party patches that do only one thing anyway. Alan Brito wrote an online guide to the Caliper script, but didn’t include it in his new book - Blender 3D: Architecture, Buildings, and Scenery… for a reason?

Dunno. Could ask him. I could venture a hypothesis but why even try while he is there ?

Visualization and mockups only have technical value if they are based on accurate proportions, and distances are constantly needing to be confirmed and checked. Drawings often go back and forth and are adjusted countless times. As most architects are working with some sort of CAD application it would be beneficiary to have some sort of common understanding of scale. For a large part it’s just about communicating. To give a simple example: Designer on my shoulder asks, “Push that wall out a bit more - stop, there looks good - how far is that?” …and then [depending on Blender scale] finding the Edge Length button, sometimes zooming, translating, squinting to try read what’s been done - as opposed to double clicking and reading the property indicator…
That description is a more accurate description of what’s archiviz for in my life too that any I’ve ever heard or read. It’s not just a selling argument to wow the client it is a real tool to communicate with the non-technical partners we have and still retain the technical information we as managers and executants need once all the changes have been agreed upon using visualization.

I’ve contacted Erwan Jacq from http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/Blender_for_Architecture

I’ll try with MadCello and Allan Brito too.
I’ve seen a post from ebow3D and countless others.

I can’t believe that Campbell will be on this project for quite a few week, with his involvement in Apricot and the dire need for vacations that he’ll have afterward…
Nevertheless he is someone that actually can put things in motion, a chance I don’t want to let pass by me.

Thanks for your answer and sharing your ideas patdog :slight_smile:

Jean

Double post, sorry.

Something went wrong with me contacting Blenderartist.

Hi guys, this is a wiki I started to get some ideas together for a more concrete proposal - Ideally it means there can be full time development effort on blender for 6 to 12 months for features that help architects. (and I wont need to run to autodesk)

But been too buisy to really go through and elaborate so far, I’ll keep an eye on this thread, and add useful goals into the wiki when I get the chance - Anyone with wiki access feel free to do this too.

@Patdog, agree this isnt good to workaround - making measurements easily accessible would be somthing to work on. as well as custimizable units etc.

@IamInnocent - Theres time for a break, August/September start is reasonable.

Such a python script could be useful:
http://www.base80.com/index.php/2007/11/19/window_cutter

hi,

1.editing Bezier curves can be improved -weld,trim,fillet,extend…visually should be possible to set thickness,colour(like for vertex) also draw 3point arc etc

2.LOFT: for making mouldings with path and section specified(as curves)-bevelobj has problems like the resulting mesh interpenetrating.

and maybe loft with a scaling curve(like 2rail sweep -i.e with varying sections)

3.ALIGN: a straightforward align tool-select two objects align centers/extremes along X,Y,Z etc and may be facealign

4.ARRAY: array at object lvl.+ scaling -useful for obj.instances.Maybe array along curve(with scaling)-current curve modifier distorts mesh.(and also not obj. lvl)

Points 1 and 2 well taken and noted.

Just so you won’t have to wait uselessly…
3- Aligning is pretty straight forward in Blender, especially when using the active object as a transformation center and ‘only centers’ option. If you add the possibility of having custom transformations orientations (CTOs) then aligning in Blender becomes pretty powerful. Starting in 2.47, aligning to faces will become extremely easy with Theeth recent additions to Apricot first and then the trunk. :slight_smile:

4- Doesn’t the array modifier already do what you want ?

Thanks

Jean

This looks very much like very good Booleans doesn’t it ? Right now the boolean modifier allows some of that but the set up is very touchy…

Hi all,

It seems that there’s some big things coming for Blender & Architecture.

Some discussions have started among some blender’s architects users , and Ton should make an official announcement one of these days. I’m pleased to see how some architects are really starting to script and code for Blender and other projects. Sounds like it’s time for us to join our efforts to build something that could really be a great step in our design process. Like John Meda and others said : that artists should know how to program, artists should build their own tools.

I’m a little bit excited with this idea :] and I just wanted to enter the discussion here with some thoughts:
And let’s forget a minute that Cambo don’t want ’ to turn blender into a CAD application’ :slight_smile:

But to be clear on that point : yes, Blender is not for technical drawing - heavy plans with construction details -
Blender is for visualisation, modeling and skecthing, Blender is suited for the creation process of the architect -
and architects and painters have a very long story with 3D and perspective - remember the Quattrocento ? :slight_smile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattrocento

…I would like to speak about my experience with modeling.

I think we are quite a lot of architects to have started modeling with the Autocad and Rhino way : with 2D primitives and extruded faces that need to be exploded :] .So We learned modeling with Autocad primitives - like lines, arcs and circles - and one day we discovered a completely new way of modelling, that is : verteces-edges-faces, something like escaping from Autocad to the Gimp - that’s so cool :]

What I would like to point out is that the Blender for architecture project could be an oportunity
to re-think the way we draw … in 2D

Couldn’t we draw - in 2D - our projects like we model in Blender ?
Computer Aid Design/Drawing … couldn’t we draw with Blender ?
There is no pen tool in Blender…

And on the Blender side :

Is it usefull to have blender’s meshes and curves more linked together ?
Couldn’t we move from a mesh mode to a nurbs mode to a bezier mode ?
Or may be rethinking what is a Mesh ? - eh calm down :]

I have started a page on Blender for architecture wiki http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/Architectural_visualization_project for discussion.
While making a short list of the tools we use in Autocad,I was amazed how few tools we use !
You know these 3 buttons : offset, fillet , trim ? in the middle of the spaceship entreprise mega board of Auto-crade ( crade = dirty in french ) ?

let’s build our tool !..I can’t stand that Sketchup is a better tool for architects :slight_smile: grr…

@migius : hi :slight_smile: ! [ ding : PM ]
@kitsu : what are you secret plans ?
@zanqdo : are you architect ; I’m just curious :] ?
@yorik : have you start coding for Blender - not just fo FreeCad :] ?
@jean : could you change the title of this thread :] ?
@rocketship : what’s going on in NY :] ?
@abelabel : do you have some information on the Finish initiative ?
@eon2004: salut !

karpov

www.yanatchkov.com

hi IamInnocent,

Array - i was thinking if object lvl. array and instance is possible it will be exported to external rendereres as instances - may be not needed.but for doing simple things like circular array we need to make an empty with rot.

other use is when we need to array and also scale objects along a curve, mesh lvl. array+curve modifier deforms the mesh -e.g. sphere will look squashed etc.i have tested dupliverts,dupliframes,dupliface ,but i couldnt get good array+scale along a curve or surface(e.g. diamonds getting smaller along ring surface)

@ Karpov: right, is this better ? :slight_smile:
@ Rusted: I agree that the means to achieve this require way too much contrivance.

See you tonight guys.

Jean

Hi
I have an idea for easy arc creation.

http://www.blenderstorm.org/qapoll/ideas/idea/555/
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2820/arcextrudexe3.png

Hi
I have an idea for easy arc creation.

blenderstorm.org/qapoll/ideas/idea/555/
img395.imageshack.us/img395/2820/arcextrudexe3.png

We won a competition !
yeah !

conception & rendering : 100 % Blender
All rendering from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am, 5 images, one night - with a finished model of course !
Blender’s workflow power !

@jean : why not just " Blender for Architectural Visualization Project " :slight_smile:

Just some ideas like that on top of the other ones :

We’ll have soon realtime shadows in Blender. Lets just add a way to control the sun with date, time, place, and a way to animate it, and we remove the only remaining miss I have of Sketch’up. I started long time ago to search for accurate equations for sun placement, it’s somewhere on my computer. I wanted to make a script but never got time for learning scripting. I think the scripting would be easy, the main thing is the GUI that should be intuitive. I’ll come back with the equations I found.

On very nice thing I used a lot in Strata3D long long time ago was the antimatter objects. In fact it’s just a boolean object to remove parts to every other mesh, but the good thing is that the intersection (the cut in fact) have the material of the antimatter object. So you just put hatches to a big Cube, make it move to your building, and you have a nice animated cut with hatches on the section of the cut. I did that with to modifiers, 1 fot the remove and one for the intersection, and with a Z offset, sort of worked…

is there a way to mark this thread so it’s easier to find? i swear every time i look for it, it has a new name. i want to see where this goes, i have a goal of building some of my favorite old sitcom sets in 3d models, starting with married with children. lens warp makes screenshots hard to use as refrences since you have to guess where alot of stuff is really suposed to line up. then the beverly hill illies. maybe cheers. etc… then if i get good enough model the characters and try to make a new episode and some games or something.

Hi

I’m not an architect or so, and I have really little knowelledge in this fields . but to make things simpler for people from 2d to 3d can’t we have a bridge between inkscape and Blender?

does dynamique modification between blender and shape made in inkscape could be great? or am I totally off topic…