Proper 3D Character movement?

I need some help. I really don’t like the way characters move in blender. The technique of using <- and -> to rotate, then up to move really isn’t properly done. I want to make it so that I can move in all 8 directions while moving as I press them. What I mean is moving up when I press up, rotating to the left position relative to where my character is aligned, then moving left when I press left, and the same for right, down, diagonal up, and diagonal down. If you know what I mean and have a solution, please reply.

…You are making a game first person or third person? sorry english.

That can be fixed! Thank you so much, this has been driving me up the wall.

I am sorry if this sounds a little rude, but the file is a bit cluttered, and I would rather have a smooth transition between directions. The camera control is also not needed.

Third person. I have FPS controls perfected.

ok, check this out,

Keypress ----------------and------------property set “Animation” =1
if “Animation”=0------------/

if “Animation” min:1 max:end frame -1----------and-----property add 1 to Animaiton

if “Animation”=end frame length"----------------and-----“Animation” = 0

if animation is changed -----------and----------Action -property based- “Animation” as property

Attachments

WrectifiedCurrentZeta(Textured3.0).blend (7.42 MB)

This is cool, but this is more of a Third Person Shooter setup. I am looking for a simple platformer setup. Although this is very nice.:slight_smile:

it all applies,

you can not use the “turn left/right” and have the whole thing on a 2d plane

What I am going for is a 3D platformer/RPG like superflip’s.

this can play an action + apply a motion, it does not matter what the motions are,

check it out,

Keypress ----------------and------------property set “Animation” =1
if “Animation”=0------------/

if “Animation” min:1 max:end frame -1----------and-----property add 1 to Animaiton

if “Animation”=end frame length"----------------and-----“Animation” = 0

if animation is changed -----------and----------Action -property based- “Animation” as property

if animation = animation length / 2 ------------------and apply force (move forward+up)

(this hops forward @ point in walk cycle where foot is lifted)

But when you press A/D he rotates. I want the character to rotate relative to where you are oriented, then move left as I press A. Same goes with W, S, and D.

I am saying start from scratch,

One sec, I’ll flip you a blend after I take care of some things.

So sorry. I am terrible at programing so I didn’t understand.:o

here is a blend

Attachments

DemoActionMover.blend (476 KB)

Okay I found an easy solution:
Basically I have 4 empties that are vertex Parented to the character, and then I add four Y axis Motion and four Edit Object/Track To actuators connected to the WASD sensors. Quite simple, really.

Hey why dont you check out the third person platformer template over in the resources section? It’s a great template and with some tweaking I think will be what you’re looking for. It is python though so you’re dream game won’t immediately be made for you, you’ll have to learn a bit, but is that so horrible?