Proper distance between objects?

Hello everyone, except you that is reading :grimacing:

What should be the proper / realistic distance between objects. In this example it’s a fridge and wood

0.00025m? 0.25mm
0.00001m? 0.01mm
I kind of recall something called put on but i cannot find it, maybe it wasn’t native thing to Blender and some add-on :thinking:

1 Like

not really what I’m asking, I’m asking about sides, where it touches another object, there is 3cm clearance from the wall. There is actually no need for side clearance. Top and back is enough

What do you mean by ‘sides’ or ‘another object’?

If the previous answer wasn’t what you want you know, I’ve no idea what the question is.

Grab a ruler, walk to your kitchen?

1 Like

What if I don’t have a ruler?

1 Like

Easy.
Kidnap a king.

6 Likes

Hey, thanks for replying :hugs:

I meant the sides of the fridge looking object

touching furniture (what was the English word Stile?)

if it was made like this in reality, back and top had enough clearance for airflow (2.5cm - 3cm)
What would be the typical distance between Fridge and the furniture 5mm?

Still I imagine that pushing in such a fridge into (…) would have been a bit hard, unless one of the sides was removable.

2 Likes

That was a most excellent reply.

2 Likes

This dimension was actually given in the first reply screenshot… Far more than 5 mm.

Around 3 cm.

4 Likes

I guess so but rarely the kitchen I was looking at have even 1cm

or maybe I’m just insanely horrible at telling the measurements of stuff :scream:

Depends on the fridge, kitchen, how cheap the landlord is, etc. My last house had easily four inches on each side, my current one has maybe a quarter inch on each side. I’d say you’ll be hard pressed to find a specific number that matches all cases- just say a couple inches and you’ll be spot on

3 Likes

I see :hugs:
Makes sense. I guess some stuff just don’t have an absolute answer when it comes to such things.
Gonna keep looking, maybe some people do decorative stuff that plugs up the hole on both sides.

1 Like

That photo looks like they built the cupboard flush around the fridge!

At least where I live kitchens usually have a hole where the fridge goes and people buy one that fits, (mine has apx 3cm on each side).

1 Like

For a proper distance you might simply look up some service manuals of some similar models and have a look. They mostly provide also some diagrams an dof course text (and warnign signs) like so:

VentilationInstruction

So make the proper decision to stay cool :cold_face: and do not overheat :hot_face:

2 Likes

Go ahead and just give it “several inches.” The poor bloke has to maneuver the fridge into the space somehow.

If it’s a snug fit, (and assuming the ventilation isn’t a problem) the tightest I would make that space is 1/4" on either side, or about 6mm

1 Like

Of course there could be some nice looking grid to garanty airflow.

And worth noting - not all units are the same width… which is something people have to think about, when building custom cabinetry for a particular refrigerator. If you have to replace it at some future point, it’s quite possible the gap will be larger (or it simply won’t fit).

With our own - when I remodelled the kitchen, new unit has to poke out about 3-4" from the framing - else the doors won’t fully open.

2 Likes