Proposal for New Transform Orientation Interface in 2.5 or 2.6

The transform orientation axis has many options already, but i think that it could be improved a slight bit.

There is already a custom or “create” operator that will copy the current 'transform Orientation ‘s’ axis and and it to the list (includes Global, Local, Normal,Gimbal and View).

Custom is too hard to make and get to sometimes. This is where my proposal comes into play.

In the old work flow… you would add an empty, set it’s transformOrientation to normal, enter the N menu, click create, then find/click your Orientation’s name and there you have it. A new axis :yes:, Untill you need another one and possibly need to repeat the process a few dozen times in a big project :eek:.

Keep in mind I am speaking about organic modeling where custom orientations could help the modeler out a lot when eyeballing, such as scaling an axis to zero, and avoiding a lot of vert tweaking this way.

My proposal would add an extra ‘dynamic’ Transformation Orientation name to the list.
Since there is a common practice in organic modeling to delete Orientations rather than finding previous ones created, this one would automatically update itself anytime you rotate it. It will use the same name and not create any .00#s .

Workflow could work in any number of ways but I will give only ONE for this first post. And since Pictures are worth a thousand words …

If this proposal at all makes any sense please post your comments and thoughts below.

Blender developoers, you guys are doing a Great job putting Blender together.

Thanks everyone for your time in reading this,

veQue

It would be cool if there were openGL light sources that could be added/modified from that panel too.

it looks interesting, but isn’t the point of organic modeling that you do not need to be particularly precise…(sorry I cannot spell)…still this is your idea and you have it for a reason…I do not use manipulators etc…so I am a bit sour to this…and obviously biased…

Sorry, I hate manipulators over on the side. Daz3D does it and it’s a pain in the arts. It makes the interface feel like a game of whack a mole

Agree with Blenderer - no side manipulators , it’s just wasted space.
But idea, in general is good and worth of consideration. Mocap gave me another solution for dynamic orientation - just make orientation axes sticky to choosen object orientation ( e.g. Empty ) so, when object is rotated orientation changes dynamically.

that’s the old workflow IF YOU ARE INSANE!!!

When modelling you’ll be in edit mode anyway…

It’s really easy… in edit mode select a face, edge or whatever and hit CTRL-SHIFT-C

to store the “normal” of the selection and switch to it as the current transform axis… Done!

The shortcut is different (ctrl-alt-spacebar) in 2.5, but just as easy…

It’s one of the most elegant ways of customising the orientation of the manipulator in any package…

BUT, just for a minute, assuming that your proposal was necesary, it’d be more elegant to just enter a mode (either by holding a key down, or explictly switching to it ) and use the manipulator handles to reposition and orient it in the virewport rather than in a side panel… (like maya, Silo etc etc…)

“BUT, just for a minute, assuming that your proposal was necesary, it’d be more elegant to just enter a mode (either by holding a key down, or explictly switching to it ) and use the manipulator handles to reposition and orient it in the virewport rather than in a side panel… (like maya, Silo etc etc…)”

Yeh I’m sorry to have made the diagram so off from my main purpose…

I just wanted a dynamic axis , good for lengthening at certain angles and zeroing/flattening verts on certain user created axises.

After putting up the picture I may have thrown you off with the trackball, this is NOT what I’m trying to do.

Michael W , I never used Maya or Silo, But that sounds EXACTLY like what I wanted from the beginning. just a simple way to rotate the orientation(much like you can rotate an empty)

My OTHER Idea was just that, to have a manipulator key + mouse click (or any keymap) that would simply start the rotation modal for the axis and renaming the orientation to ‘Dynamic’ (or similar). There wouldn’t be a dynamic.001 or dynamic.002 or other names that take up more space.

I didn’t know about the ctrl-alt-spacebar and the other 2.49keymap before now, and that helps out a lot, but I still think my idea may have some validity.

Thanks everyone for the responses and Ideas =).

If there is a proposal thread somewhere that I can brainstorm some more of my ideas, and if this isnt the proper place to post these proposals, please someone let me know.

Thanks

veQue

@MichaelW
I guess I’m almost INSANE! The way I used to do it:

• select face(s)
  • load Transform Orientations panel
  • add new orientation
  • close panel

Using Ctrl-Shift-C is so much better, though. Thanks for the workflow tip!!

Thanks Michael

Yeh thanks Micheal after using your keymap tip for a few days now… things are a lot better. plus there is already an option to have overwriting.

so it turns out my idea is not really needed after all.
Well you live and you learn.

veQue

Oooo I didn’t know that! That’s awesome for locking to funny angles in drawings and such. Danke schön!

runs off to play