ps3 to ship only 500,000 units at launch. Launch delayed in Europe.

The only thing that will make the ps3 worth buying is if it runs linux as they claim it will, without any limits that the PC wouldn’t have. Right now, I would say that XBOX 360 is the way to go. All the good games are coming out for it (Oblivion!! Greatest game ever!) and they always run smoothly. On a PC, you’d have to spend around $2000-$3000 to get a lag free computer.

Of course, PC has its benefits. Mainly mods. I love putting my Blender graphics into games (Once a good exporter comes out for Oblivion, I will most definitely upgrade my computer just to run it).

EDIT: Post number 300!! :slight_smile:

and since you were looknig for proof:

Higher failure rates for the first batch of complex new electronics such as game consoles are common.
And they are comping for repairs on all machines manufactured prior to jan 1 of release year that may have had a failure. That minor hickup aside the 360 is doing great.

Still waiting for this proof you keep talking about…

Its doing well compared to what? considering its still the only console out now. And yes that is what i was referring to in the failure rate, MS gambled to get their product out before the competition, and thats what happened. Will that happen with the PS3 or Wii? not sure they havent come out yet, so before we all take sides lets see how they do after all the pieces are on the board, but im done arguing this isnt going anywhere.

Its doing well compared to what?
Lol, you don’t have to compare it to anything to know that it’s doing well. The fact that it’s selling steady, attracting developers by storm and supporting more and more games is proof enough.

This among other facts proves that “as a console” (which is what I thought you were talking about) the 360 is not a failure, but actually a great success.

That is all I was trying to say.

Now I admit that I can’t see the future, and that therefore I can’t say with 100% certainty what will happen with the PS3, but looking at how things stand you have to admit that PS3’s let downs are more than probable.

It’s late in the race and it’s far too expensive. O, and let’s not forget the topic of this thread as an added bonus.

Even though the 360 had some early launch backlash, they never faced a shortage issue.

this isnt going anywhere
True, but it was never really meant to go anywhere. We are just having a mature debate. Right? I mean we can disagree, but still have respect for each others opinions.

Good day to you sir.

very few nintendo consoles have ever had failure rates anywhere close to 360 (although what MS is doing now with the repairs is great, I also heard the next hardware mod of the 360 is going to be more stable, cooler, and have some extras) or failure rates, period. that is because nintendo knows / tests their hardware more than most manufacturers and also doesn’t try to cram every fuckin thing they can think of and then sell their systems at a loss. they are using proven hardware that is making them a profit and is very stable and reliable. nothing wrong with that.

not to mention I inherited a GBA SP from someone that eventually broke and nintendo fixed it for free, with no warranty or anything

I am going the wii360 route myself, some of the upcoming 360 games look pretty awesome, and from playing guitar hero I KNOW that games with funky controllers can work

the 360 is doing terrible in japan.

personally, i see the xbox as meerly a hardware update to the xbox, not really a next gen system. then again, in comparison, the original xbox’s hardware stats kick ps2’s ass. but despite this, it’s the games that make the system. sure, dev groups are signing up with microsoft, but what will stop them from porting the games to the ps3 and the wii? a contract could stop this, but all it will do is frustrate the dev groups, and turn them off to future business deals with microsoft. the way i see it, people should start renting systems again. plead for your local games distributor to begin offering the option, if they don’t already, and just rent the systems to evaluate them. if the system is too good for you to wait, go for it. otherwise, just do what i do. wait a year or two until the system is freakin’ cheap, then buy it with whatever games interest you. most likely, you’ll save money, and get the system that you really want. plus shortages will have blown over by then…

Well, for the wii they probably won’t be able to anyway, because of the hardware gap.

The PS3 is a system that could probably handle any port from the 360, but that alone won’t incline companies to make ports. Ports are usually made when there is a significant profit margin in doing so. If the PS3 is too expensive and suffering a shortage, not many people will buy it. Therefore the PS3 won’t have the system population to provide any significant return on the port.

If things keep going as they are, the devs will realize that making a PS3 port won’t pay off. As I said it’s all about the profit margin. If (money spent on making a PS3 port) > (return on the port): Port won’t be made.

not to mention I’ve heard the PS3 is a nightmare to develop for (8 cores!!!). I highly doubt there will be many 360 or wii to ps3 ports due to the wildly different hardware… the ps2 is already hard enough to develp for. I read an interview that said they were going to do a multi-platform Okami release but that it would take too long to get out of the ps2 hardware for less of a profit.

I heard they didn’t even bother trying to do software ps2 emulation, instead they are just shoving in all the ps2 hardware into the case for backwards compatibility. that doesn’t bode well, no wonder the thing is 10lbs and costs nine thousand dollars

Latest I’ve heard is, that Sony has decided to lower the prize of PS3, at least in Japan, to about 340 euros. The prize fight is just starting to heat up, as I am sure Microsoft will answer if Sony lowers the prizes in europe and america as well.

But one thing is certain: Sony will sell PS3 out below profit margin to conquer the market.