Pull 3D models straight off your graphics card!

Hi

Maybe you all know about this…but I was amazed when I discovered the “3D” screenshot! You can pull 3D models and textures out of any game by making a special “screenshot”:

For DirectX: RDRipperDX

For OpenGL: OGLE

Learnt about it here: CGTalk

This means you can get the models from people who make Blender games but don’t give you their models. :wink:
Of course, this isn’t meant to be a way for you to rip copyrighted models and textures!

Koba

That… is so… cool.

Hehe neat stuff.

It just means games will become slower.

The developers will have to protect against this (and they will) which will reduce game play.

Use it while you can!

Why would they??? Games aren’t just made with polygons and textures. There are a billion other thing to make a game. Even if you took something from (let’s say) Unreal 3 and put it in your own game, don’t you think anyone would notice that.

It’s not a big deal to companies. Many leave their textures in a normal format, music is often ogg, wma, etc. Many use a standard mesh format.
As for the makers of unreal, they seem to intentionally make all their character meshes and textures available, even though they normally have them encoded.

I think it would be funny to look at how old low poly stuff was made, maybe with a program that lets you run PS1 games on the PC. Akuji the Heartless or the cars from vigilante 8.

Why would they??? Games aren’t just made with polygons and textures. There are a billion other thing to make a game. Even if you took something from (let’s say) Unreal 3 and put it in your own game, don’t you think anyone would notice that.

Wow, that’s just pretty cool, i can see a lot of utility for this, especially for learning how the models are done.

Wow, nifty.

Looks like it’s for Windows only as it ultilises DLLs. Would have been interesting to try it on Nexuiz or Quake Wars Demo on Linux.

It asks me for a password when I try to download, how do I acquire it?

This thread is 13 years old, most likely those applications are not around anymore, at least not on those sites or at least not in the form they were back then.

In addition, you shouldn’t download anything on relatively obscure sites unless other people (who DL’ed it recently) say it is good, because you might end up downloading malware.

1 Like