putting a .avi file as a texture on a plane?

i want to be able to make a .avi (or any type of video file) as a texture on a plane, and be able to watch it. i swear i’ve heard this is possible, but i can’t get it to work no matter what i do.

could someone link me to a tutorial, or explain this to me?
thanks for helping a noob.
-rusmannx-

bump

quick tute:

Add a texture to the plane (duh), in the texture buttons, (F6), select Image and select Movie in the image box.(Interpol, mipmap and movie should all be selected). Then select Load Image and find your movie. It must be an .avi… and some .avi’s won’t work but most mine do. If your’s doesn’t, you’ll need to re-encode it.

Then in the Anim and Movie box, set the number of frames the movie has, use Offset to start wherever you want, and lastly set the StartF to set what frame in the animation you want the movie to start playing, and the length to say for how long.

Alles Klar?

yeah ok,
i did all you say.
but when i animate, the movie does not appear on the plane.
is there some other method? or maybe my .avi is not right?

If after loading the AVI in your texture you didn’t get an error message ‘this in not an animation’ probably everything’s fine. You may need to set you material for the plane to ‘shadeless’. This often works better than lighting it since you won’t have glare and shadows competing with the images - unless you want that.
Here’s an example of applying an animation to an object - note: the TV in the lower left about half way through this animation:
http://blender.sixmonkeys.geek.nz/albums/PamTangoAnimations-Blends/FruitFright.mp4
or this one, in which the first part has the material with the movie as shadeless and parts two and three with ‘shadeless’ deselected:
http://blender.sixmonkeys.geek.nz/albums/PamTangoAnimations-Blends/Dream_001.mp4
The first I did for a 10SendClub contest and the second for a compositing exercise for a class.

You should be able to see the movie in your little texture window of the texture buttons. If it’s black it may be just at the very start of the movie where it’s black. This also is a texture mind you. You will need to point a light at the mesh to see that texture, just like any other time. Also check your normals and make sure they’re facing the camera.