Putting video into a 3d scene

I’m thinking of Ted except the other way around. I want to have a 3d scene set up and put a person (green screen) that was filmed with a camera into that scene. Thoughts or feedback? The only thing that’s coming to mind for me would be an image sequence as a plane, because I do want the person (plane) to “move” around the scene, and I would be able to just move that plane around the scene. The problem I forsee is it looking horrible, basically looking way too 2d in a 3d environment. Any suggestions or examples I could check out?

I would film the person in the way he should move in the scene, do a canera track, match the camera movement in your 3d scene with your video, composit the person over your 3d scene (greenscreen or rotoscoping). Make sure the lightning, contrast, black/white levels, saturation of the 3d scene match the footage.
Or use a mocap device and make everything in Blender.

2 Likes
1 Like

I was watching that video and saw that he switched to cycles before getting the PNG to be transparent. Image as a plane doesn’t have transparency in eevee? I’m checking online and people are saying it’s possible apparently but none of the solutions seem to work for me. My blend mode in the materials tab is set to Alpha Blend but still doesn’t work :confused:

Thank you for the reply!

I like what you said about doing the camera track!

I’m kind of confused on what you mean by “use a mocap device”. I have a scene with characters rigged, so i’ve modeled a good bit of stuff, but i wanna add a “real” person (film) in there too. I thought mo cap was just for animation.

I just mentioned mo cap as an alternative to a real person if you wanted everything to have a non photorealistic look.

1 Like

You can make a simple key effect in the shader editor. You should be able to see through the plane using Material Blend mode = Alpha Blend.
Check out this blog post for some more detail https://broadcastblender.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/cheap-3d-compositing-b3d/ and here’s a screeny showing the effect in action.

1 Like

For slightly more options with your eevee greenscreen: https://yogyog.org/material-greenscreen/

2 Likes