Python access to particles?

Not a coder in any way but I had this thought that if data of particles could be changed through python, it would be possible to create “smart” particles, that can be used to create
-flocks
-smoke and fire
-object avoidance things
-colour changing particles
-blah blah

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this seems like something quite useful to have. Something like the Thinking Particles of Cinema 4d perhaps. Is this something possible to have in Blender? Thoughts?

particles can change colour already, using an ipo on the material, might not be what you are looking for though.
you can already make fire and smoke with particles, plenty of people have done it before.
you can make particles ‘avoid’ objects using particle deflection, it was new in 2.34. and you can have gravity efect them too.

also particles can be effected through python, heres teh docs http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/234PythonDoc/Effect-module.html

ah, but individual particles can not

WHICH IS A GOOD THING

[among other things it would be horrendously slow]

if you want access to particles in python, simply mess with the verts of a mesh with a halo materail

Well, I was thinking more of wispy smoke like in here. As for colour change, I was refering to particles changing colour based on distance from an object. The particle deflection stuff slipped my mind at that moment. However, I thought of some more things which cannot be done (perhaps faked?) in Blender such as
-making particles follow the surface of objects
-having particles attract/repel each other
-making particles group to form objects

Or is this all out of the scope of particles?

it would be horrendously slow
Hm…that would be sad :frowning: .

if you want access to particles in python, simply mess with the verts of a mesh with a halo materail
That would be horrendously slow… :stuck_out_tongue: