Python Exporter developer needed for new GPL unbiased renderer. (urgent)

Hi everyone,
I’m looking for someone who can help our project.
We’ve been developing a new GPL unbiased renderer in the style
of indigo/maxwell for the blender community.
We are nearly ready for a first release somewhere during the next week.
I’ve already got a working exporter prototype i made myself,
unfortunateley I don’t have a lot of time to continue developing it
as i’m very busy working on the engine itself.

So I’m looking for someone who can ‘complete’ it.
The work that needs to be done is mainly UI buttons,
and some completion/debugging in the mesh exporting code.
If you are interrested, drop me a line at terrence27 AT gmail DOT com.

thnx!,
Radiance

I hope someone will help them. Since this seems to be the only open source alternative for the Mac people.

have you got format/docs available?

ideasman42,

i’ve got some examples of the format,
and some docs.

there’s been some recent changes,
but i can write more doco’s quickly.

i’ve got a python exporter script which needs ‘love’ :wink:
it’s working, although it needs some debugging and finetuning,
all in all it’s not very complicated.
mostly regarding instancing and multi-materialed meshes,
and the UI buttons stuff.

everything (exporter and engine) is GPL v3.

if you are interested or anyone else is interested in helping out,
please drop me a mail and i’ll get you what you need.
let me know if you want a win32 or linux build (distro type),
if you’re on a mac you’ll have to compile yourself :wink:
(terrence27 at gmail dot com)

i’ve attached a WIP render rendered with our WIP render engine,
exported from blender with the WIP exporter :wink:

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3782/prevsx3.jpg

greetz,
radiance

Hi radiance!

When you say “we” how many people are in on this exactly? I remember you starting this over on the indigo forums (unless I am much mistaken) and I would support an unbiased GPL renderer over indigo and kerkythea even though both are great and free. Even if this renderer has the same progressive render window as the first indigo version, I’ll be willing to give it a go!

Good luck finding help!

Koba

can you post the wip exporter? there are useually a standard set of changes I like to make to exporters. (usually from being new to bpython) these can speed exporting a lot as well as resolve some common gotchas. export_obj.py is not a bad reference.

er, didn’t want to post this :stuck_out_tongue:

Koba: When you say “we” how many people are in on this exactly? I remember you starting this over on the indigo forums (unless I am much mistaken) and I would support an unbiased GPL renderer over indigo and kerkythea even though both are great and free. Even if this renderer has the same progressive render window as the first indigo version, I’ll be willing to give it a go!
we’re currently 4 developers (1 is on holiday though).
the engine is getting complete and useable.
do you mean you are willing to give developing the exporter a go, or actually testing the engine ?
if you just want to play with the engine, i suggest you wait till the exporter is more ‘finished’.
our site is going live somewhere next week when it’s finished,
i’ll post a message here when it is.

ideasman42: can you post the wip exporter? there are useually a standard set of changes I like to make to exporters. (usually from being new to bpython) these can speed exporting a lot as well as resolve some common gotchas. export_obj.py is not a bad reference.
sure, i’ll post it tomorrow, i just need to make some cleanups.
i’ll probable post it on our forums and give you access, so we can keep discussion in same place with our other project members.
our forums/site is currently behind a password, since the site is not finished yet.
i’ll send you everything you need to access them if you drop me a mail at terrence27 at gmail dot com
or leave me your mail and i’ll send it trough.

cheers!
Radiance

hmmm…

I did write the exporter for Toxic ages ago. I’m learning Python formally at University right now so it could be good practice. On the other hand I’m very busy.

From my experience writing toxic, my advice is to fully document the scene description format you are using. If it is XML, document all the parameters and the tags and what they mean. If you do that, then writing an exporter from scratch is easy. Then you can get some better coders than me to start an exporter (again) from scratch - instead of having someone try to figure out your code someone can use to documentation to make something well designed from the outset. It will also make life easier for those not enlightened to Blender to write exporters for thier own 3D packages

Koba

hey koba,

can you give me your email adres ?
or send a mail to me terrence27 at gmail dot com

greetz,
radiance

Is this still going to be called the Flux Renderer?

hey philbo,

we’ve removed the f :wink:
it’s now LuxRender

greetz,
radiance

I can’t wait to see this one, Radiance.

I remember those grainy, badly-tonemapped images a few months ago - nice to see so much progress (I assume GPU support is still in?)