Python installation for 2.49b?

I have the 2.49 build for Windows x86. It doesn’t get much more official, default, or vanilla than that. When I start up Blender, it says it can’t find Python and that some scripts may not run. Do I need to unzip the included Python to some place? Where? Do I need to separately install Python on my system?

Get python from www.python.org. For blender 2.49 I believe you’ll need a version 2.6.x from the download link.
Note that for 95% of blender useage you won’t need the full python install, especially if you are just starting using it.

Which Python? There are a ton of different releases, and each one has like five different downloads.
EDIT: Yeesh, finally. I had to get the Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.6.6) (sig) and run it. Well, duh! It’s so obvious! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It’s no wonder people don’t use this software more often: you can’t just download and run it like you can with GIMP.

I assume you must have forgotten about the python instructions after you’d read the blender documentation on the blender.org site. It’s part of the ‘Installing Blender’ section.

No, they just say, “go get Python” at most: Provided the Blender binary is in the original extracted directory, Blender will run straight out of the box. No system libraries or system preferences are altered. Riiiiiiight.