Python newbie help

Err, how do you use Python with blender. I mean i was following a tutorial that had to use a Python script and it said to activate the script by press alt-p in the window where the script was but nothing happend when I did so i am guessing i did somethign wrong. :frowning:

did it display an error in the console window?

Martin

It displayed no error it just didn’t do anything. It showed a picture in the tutorial of how the window should look after it was activated but i couldn’t get it to do that.

Do you have python installed? You do need it installed on your machine to run. Hope I’m not being obvious, but if you are a newbie, this can be overlooked.

Try going here for a download of the latest python installation:
http://www.python.org/2.2.1/

If you are using windows, the auto installation is the way to go. If Blender does not detect where Python is located (usually c:python22) then you can “pull down” the top of the blender window to reveal the settings window ( where you can also set how often Blender should do an auto save and how many auto saves to keep-thought, if you’re a newbie, you may want to know that) and under “Python” you can enter the location of your installation and Blender should work.

Hope that wasn’t too newbie-ish, just want to help.

Ingie

You are not necesarely obliged to have python installed. Some script can run as is in the Blender interpreter. For the others, I suggest you use Python 2.01 (NOT 2.21) since the Blender API is based on the 2.0 series, so it would be most compatible with it. http://www.python.org/2.0.1/

Also, about typing the PythonPath in the Blender Info window, you need to enter the path to the /Lib directory in the Python distro, not just the Python directory.

Martin

Man this is frustrating, i appreciate the help you guys are giving me but i still can’t get this to work. I have used Blender for a while now so i am pretty familiar with Blender it is that i have never worked with or had tried Python before. I downloaded Python 2.21 and installed it put the path in like you guys said but still can’t run any scripts :frowning: Although theeth i am not sure where you mean when you said i need to type in the python path in the /lib in the python distro?

I was talking about what Ingie said on typing the path in Blender. You need to type in the path to the /Python22/Lib directory, not just /python22

if you installed in the default folder, it would be c:/Python22/lib/

Martin

Ah right on that was it theeth, i needed to add the /lib on the end, it works good now and thanks alot for your guys help. The only thing i may ask now is, is there a way of saving the path to the python directory, because so far i have to put it in everytime i start up Blender.?

After you entered the path, press Ctrl-U and the path will be saved.

Ah perfect thanks! :smiley: