Python problem with raw triangles export

(dstar) #1

I’ve tried blender for quite a few hours now and I’m quite thrilled by it’s capabilities. But unfortunately I get an error message every time I try to do the task for which I needed it in the first place.
When I try to export a model to raw triangles I get the messages:
File ./blender-2.37a-linux-glibc2.2.5-i386-static/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/meshtools.py", line 28, in ?
meshtools.print_boxed(msg)
NameError: name ‘meshtools’ is not defined

I’m using blender 2.37a and Python 2.3. on a Linux (Suse 9.2) machine, PYTHONPATH and PYTHONHOME are set correctly. I have absolutely no experience with Python and am therefore completely at a loss with this.
What the **** can I do ? :-?

Update:
I tested with a WinXP Installation and there is absolutely no problem, even without a full python installation. On the other hand, when testing with another machine (this time Suse 9.3) the same problem described could be reproduced.

(antont) #2

it works for me. the code seems to be:

try:
        import operator
except:
        msg = "Error: you need a full Python install to run this script."
        meshtools.print_boxed(msg)
        Blender.Draw.PupMenu("ERROR%t|"+msg)

that means there is a bug in the error message printing it has :o (someone should file that bug to the tracker)

and the actual problem is that your python installation does not have the ‘operator’ module, which probably means that you do not have PYTHONPATH correctly set (also the blenderpython is quite stoopid at the moment about the default python path, will be fixed)

on windows, where the operating usually does not have python already (unlike most linuxes and macosx), it is perhaps shipped bundled with blender and that’s why it works.

~Toni

(z3r0 d) #3

more likely your distro is using python 2.4, but blender is looking for [and not finding] python 2.3

the next release of blender will use 2.4

correct, except blender on windows only comes with a lot of python, it doesn’t come with everything [so sometimes it needs to be installed seperately]