python v2.5 ?

now that the new version of python is out would it be okay to update to and have blender still work?
or do I have to wait for the next release of blender before I can install the latest version of python?

There’s a dll used by windows so most of it will be 2.4 no matter what until they upgrade. 2.5 looks pretty cool. I guess there were some speed improvements, lower memory requirements, and they included sqlite in the standard library. It shouldn’t hurt to install it on your system because of the 2.4 dll. You can at least try it out on other things.

so installing the new version probably will not affect blender
okay, ill install it

ahh well my scripts wont work any more

Compiled with Python version 2.4.
‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback
Checking for installed Python… No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.

does anyone about compiling and how hard hard it would be to compile blender with python 2.5
i already have the blender source code (and i will assume that i will need the python source code too).

unless of course the next version of blender is coming soon?

thanks for any help (or answers)

i think you gotta wait… like you gotta change alot of stuff to make it work.

you can look at this page : http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/cohabr2pyt.htm

…if you understand french.

or here’s the english one
http://66.249.93.104/translate_c?langpair=fr|en&u=http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/cohabr2pyt.htm

from google

Checking for installed Python… No installed Python found.
It’s probably only the check you need to change. Apparently it doesn’t recognise 2.5 as installed python. That kind of sucks, really. They should have checked for a minimum version. Sorry about that. How’s 2.5 anyway? Can you run 2 versions of python or not? I have both 2.2 and 2.4 installed but I’m running linux.

yes, you can have both versions of python installed, just did it for blender.
another question
would it affect blender if the python had stackless installed or would it just be the same?

fireside>

Did you try installing 2.5 on Ubuntu yet?

I had to build from source, because afaik there isn’t a Linux binary. (It was a long Ubuntu IRC session, but with some help I got the previous 2.4 diverted to make room for the 2.5 install, but not remove 2.4. It would have been better if I had used “make altinstall” instead of using the divert command, but I’m one of those people who goes directly to IRC when I have a problem)

I checked synaptic to see if there was a package, but it seems like synaptic is stuck a version behind. (When I check synaptic blender is still 2.41 and Python IDLE goes up to 2.4)

Anyway, the problems I am having are with IDLE itself. I can run python2.5 from BASH just fine, but when I try to run IDLE, I get:

** IDLE can’t import Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **

It looks like it’s missing the Tkinter libs, but I don’t see how that’s possible since Tkinter is supposed to be completely integrated with python by default, so shouldn’t installing python also install all the necessary Tk components?

I’v been asking around IRC, but no one seems to know. Do you hove any idea as to why this happens with idle fireside?

It looks like it’s missing the Tkinter libs, but I don’t see how that’s possible since Tkinter is supposed to be completely integrated with python by default, so shouldn’t installing python also install all the necessary Tk components?
I could be wrong but I think they split off tkinter and made it a seperate install. At least I think I remember doing the same thing. I haven’t tried python 2.5, thought I’d just wait till there was a package, but yeah, they are kind of slow at getting packages up. Idle uses tkinter so either your path isn’t working or you don’t have it installed. If you have 2.4 see if it’s in site-packages, if it is, it’s probably a seperate install.