pyverse 0.1.1 in the game engine

Hi,

(if you don’t know what Verse is, go here first.

There is not much news from the Verse front at this moment, so I thought I’d give you an update on what I’ve been working on here and there in the past few months. Tom Dyar (d0pamine) and I have been working on pyverse, python bindings for Verse. All functions, structs and constants are now accessible and usable from python, so you can start developing Verse applications in python right now, if you like doing experimental things. The source and windows binaries are avaible from:
http://projects.blender.org/projects/pyverse/

Connecting Blender 2.x to verse would be a cool project to test verse and to show it’s use to Blender users, so people can get a preview of what verse can do for Blender. Connecting Blender to verse in the Blender source, using C, would be a lot of work. Blender developers would have to take into account that Blender can be connected to a Verse server, and code differently, which is not something we want to force on them. To me, python seemed to be the easiest way to do get Verse working with Blender.

Currently, it is impossible to create an clean Alt+P verse script. The problem is that you have to call a certain function regularly to check for any updates from the server. This is impossible, as python scripts cannot hook themselfs up to a timer in blender.

It is already possible to use Verse in a game engine python script. Verse can now actually be used to create a multiplayer blender game, except for the dead reckoning transform system (not working server-side at this time). I’ve created a demo explaining the basics. It’s not spectacular or anything, but it took me some time to figure out. The fact that I hadn’t used gameblender before hasn’t helped me either :).

http://users.pandora.be/blendix/verse/blender_game_verse_thumb.png

I’ve created a zipfile which contains everything to run the demo in windows:

• Download a recent tuhopuu build with game engine enabled
  • Download this zipfile and extract it to the folder where you have installed your tuhopuu build.
  • Run the verse server (a terminal window will appear)
  • Open the .blend file in tuhopuu
  • Press ‘p’ in the correct window
  • See a super spectacular effect where a box falls from the air! :slight_smile:

For linux:

• Get a recent tuhopuu build
  • Download and build verse
  • Download the latest pyverse .tar.gz and build it (see README)
  • Download the windows zipfile and put the zipfile contents plus _verse.so (which you have just built) in the directory where the blender executable is. Remove _verse.pyd.
  • … (follow remaining windows steps)

What you see is a room being filled with boxes, each box representing an object, bitmap or geometry node on the server. You will only see one. To add more, run the add_nodes.py script (this can be done from within Blender if you don’t have python installed, otherwise just double-click), or restart the game a couple of times. When you will now run other verse apps, new nodes will be created and dynamically added to / removed from the room.

I hope I haven’t confused too many people with my bad english :D. If you have any questions, ask.
My Verse page: http://users.pandora.be/blendix/verse/

This looks cool!
Thanks, man.

I tried this in 2.33a and well cant get it to work. Is it possible?