Quad-Partitioning

Hello,

In my endless testing, I’ve decided I want to try quad-booting my system with Vista, XP, Ubuntu, and OpenSuse. I want Vista because I’ve grown (only slightly) fond of it, I need XP because it’s the most practical being that I’m so accustomed to it and it’s stable and hackable (opposite ideals?), and I want a form of Linux (two forms, I guess) to play around with simply because I want to be more familiar with that OS.

So. My problem is choosing how to set up the partitions.
Ideally I’ll install each OS to its own partition with minimum size, then make a single other partition to hold all my documents. Something like this:

primary hard disk — 200gb
/partition 0 ~15gb
–Vista
/partition 1 ~10gb
–XP
/partiton 2 ~10gb
–Ubuntu
/partition 3 ~10gb
–OpenSuse
/swap ~5gb
/documents ~150gb

Would that setup work?
Meaning, how would my programs be arranged? Documents would fit into their own partition, but programs depend on the OS. Is there any way a Windows system can share the Program Files directory? Or a Linux system can share the bin directory?

Thanks for your help. :yes:

nope… you can only have 4 primary partitions.

Only windows requires installation on a primary partition, so what you can do is 1 partition for windows,1 for vista, and the other space another primary, with logical partitions inside for your linux stuff.I dont think there is a limmit on logical partitions .

PS…
5 gigs swap is total overkill unless you have 10 gigs of system ram…
the only time you need lots of swap is when using applications like cinelerra , but I think it maxes out at 2 gigs.

So, something more along the lines of…

primary hard drive – 200gb
/partition 0 ~18gb
–Vista
/partition 1 ~10gb
–XP
/partition 2 (extended) ~20gb
–Ubuntu
–OpenSuse
–swap ~2gb
/documents ~150gb

Is that what you mean?

I don’t think that you can store all of your documents on one partition if they will be a mix of windoz and 'nix. They use two different file structures that require different formats on the disk. I could be wrong though…

inside your primary partition 2, make logical partitions…1 for ubuntu… 1 for suse… 1 for the swap…

it really dose not matter too much what format you use for yor data
you can read NTFS (windows) format with ubuntu and suse by default…

from windows there is a driver to read the ext 3 partition( linux)
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

Alright, I think I’ve got my partitions set up well enough.
Any ideas to get XP working properly? When I boot from the disk, it says that it is unable to find a hard disk. When I run the disk from Vista or Ubuntu, the install option is grey-ed out.

I’ve decided to drop Suse, for the time being.
I may come back to it later though…

Thanks for your continued support. :yes:

I have to assume that when you say “boot from the disk” you are referring to a live cd. If that is the case, did you format your new 'nix partitions in something that 'nix can recognize?
By the way, here
is a program that will allow read/write from 'nix to ntfs formatted partitions/drives. As far as I can tell there is no write capability yet from a windows system to a 'nix formatted media. Again, I could be wrong.

Edit
I was wrong, see here

Just make sure you do your all your windows installs first, then come back and do the linux installs… The windows bootloader will ignore all things linux, you need to have grub or lilo installed for a proper dual boot system.

If you are still having problems with the install, you might want to try the Wubi installer, then you will not have to worry about partitioning anything, and it uses the native windows bootloader :smiley: rather than grub.
http://wubi-installer.org/

wait about a week for Wubi, then you will get the new 7.10 ubuntu rather than the old version.

Wow, wubi looks cool. I wish it were around several years ago! Thanx for the link. :slight_smile: