Quad Remesher auto-retopologizer

Indeed. I’m a user of 3DC too, but having checked out this one and the results it churns out, Quad Remesher seems to be a step above in terms of topology flow interpretation.

3 Likes

I think i found out, it’s not a common case however often possible. What happens is Blender Crashed while remeshing. The Blender Procces was killed, however xremesher.exe didn’t.

1 Like

Yes, I do not say that it is better. But apparently it is the best alternative for Linux users.

1 Like

3d coat is the best retopo tool out there period but the automatic retopo topology often suck compare to the excellent result of quad Remesher!

I hope i read something wrong but do you have to be constantly online to use it?

If so i will not buy since i respect my word about not buying software that require constant internet access.

Honestly, this add-on feels like cheating. Got these results without even changing one setting (I can’t believe how well it retained the ears):

Not exactly perfect topology, but man is it nice for adjusting your proportions and getting better posing with the Pose tool.

4 Likes

this add-on is insane. And works so well with boxcutter. Amazing stuff! We were waiting for it to drop but this is better than I anticipated!

https://twitter.com/mxeon1001/status/1181755188262195200?s=20

9 Likes

This is not a surprise for the Zbrush users. Mudbox has a remesher too but its results are somewhere between this and the voxel remesher.

1 Like

I’ve been doing tests with using the knife tool to cut in edge flow I want to maintain on my dyntopo sculpts (around eyes, mouth loops, etc.) and I’ve been getting really nice results. Does anyone know of a tool or add-on that would let me cut in edges with a curve stroke or a grease pencil stroke instead? From there it would be a really simple tweak to quadremesher’s script to get curve guides working.

Well, you could do a grease pencil stroke, convert it to a mesh and use Knife Project.

2 Likes

Knife Project sounds about right, I’ll have to do some research and see if I can knock out an upgrade to the add-on tomorrow.

1 Like

Do you mean what the results are like when you use Quad Remesher on an OpenVDB-generated mesh? Quad Remesher works on every kind of mesh topology. It looks at surface characteristics like concavity, convexity and branching. In fact, I’ve found that a triangular source topology often gives slightly better results.

I’d advise you to download the trial version and have a go at it. You won’t be disappointed. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wonder if the dev could take advantage of wine and make only the executable (not the python part of the addon inside Blender) work by using wine. I’d rather not have a different (and less responsive) version of Blender just to run an autoretopo.

MoI 3D for macOS used to be the Windows version in a Wine wrapper, before a native macOS version was released. It worked fine.

1 Like

As a Linux user, I would not buy software that does not have native support for Linux. Just my opinion

2 Likes

I can fully understand that. I guess it’d be an interesting experiment with the trial version though.

is there an area where we can post situations and discuss possible solutions? I would like to see if there’s a way to get even more control over the final result.

1 Like

That’d be nice. Please feel free to post anything regarding Quad Remesher in this thread.

I’m just an enthusiastic user and beta tester of the tool, so my knowledge is limited when it comes to software-technical questions, but I’m sure @Max33 will have a look at this thread every now and then.

I will add interesting questions and solutions to the unofficial FAQ in my initial post.

1 Like

I’ve added a tips ‘n’ tricks part to my initial post. Additions are very welcome, thanks in advance.

I’m still confused about the indie license. Because it looks just like a paid educational license. Is it just a naming issue or are there plans to actually make a more affordable option for indies? Would be nice to know also if there’s an option to upgrade from “indie” to pro later if I get the lower priced version first.

2 Likes