Quad Swords - free addon for cutting mesh into grids

quad_swords

This tool cut your mesh into many grids by X, Y, Z axis !
It use blender’s knife projection to do the cut.
Knife projection is useful for creating grid edges on an object, but it is troublesome to setup.
It need to create a separated object, select two objects, align the view…
So I made this tool.

It is free on gumroad :

Enjoy ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Kushiro
Author of grid modeler

22 Likes

So cool :grinning: thanks.

1 Like

You are welcome! :innocent:

Great idea! As usual! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks bro :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Really nice addon… thanks for making this.

1 Like

No problem :sunglasses:

Version 1.1.0 :
It is updated !

• Added the option to cut selected faces only :slightly_smiling_face:
  • bug fix

Enjoy !

5 Likes

I really appreciate the share of this addon. It could be really useful. But unfortunately it has some really disturbing bugs. Whenever i change the Slice Density it zoom out like crazy. Not sure why that happens and i dont know so much about Python Programming so im unable to figure out and solve this problem. So maybe you could fix it Kushiro?

Youtube Video (Sorry for the background noise from the fan)
Blender Addon Quad Swords problem - YouTube

1 Like

Thank you for reporting :slightly_smiling_face:
I fixed the bug in update 1.1.1
Please update it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Just did a small update for quad sword, and sharing it back. hope you find it useful (feel free to incorporate into “official version”, in that case)

i added the option, that REMOVES old edges after applying “quad sword”. It is basically the same shape, but mostly with new edge flow, so it is kind of “Axis-aligned” remesher, that keeps UVs, VCs, etc, etc. It also keeps seam and boundary edges intact.

It is not ideal - since the perfect dissolve with such massive edgelist not possible (or i don`t know how to do it properly) - and slow (brute-force approach), but with many shapes it works well

quad_swords_upd.zip (7.2 KB)

4 Likes

That looks great. Almost looks like a solution for retopology.

It is a creative idea :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
After writing this tool, I tried myself to make a real quad (100%) remesh tool, but not success yet.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing. Awesome work mate. The addon seems to have issues with a plane mesh that is like this:
aaasaaa

You did mention that the remove old edges is not ideal. I am trying to find a way to get all the squares to be of the same size, with some degree of the displacements retained (doesn’t have to be precise). The remesher that comes with Blender doesn’t give quads of the same size running through the mesh.

This addon is awesome. Just wish it could completely eliminate the old edges and keep the new grid.