Quad Remesher auto-retopologizer

I totally agree. There’s one more interesting auto-retopologizer, and it’s integrated in Maya:

It performs quite competently on hard-surface meshes, but I don’t know how it behaves on branching organic models.

7 Likes

That thought crossed my mind as well, but I’m sure the QuadRemesher developer wouldn’t take the risk of having Pixologic’s lawyers jumping on his back. :slightly_smiling_face: So I guess he owns (some) ZRemesher rights and/or this is a new algorithm.

3 Likes

Maya’s remeshing tool is fantastic for simple hard surface meshes, but it definitely barfs all over anything more complex unfortunately.

Reading through the docs for QuadRemesher it looks to be a new algorithm with even better support for curvature, hard edges/normals, and adaptive scaling. Can’t wait to give it a try.

3 Likes

i guess you are right,he must be prepared for this kind of stuff, and like @m9105826 said a new algorithm is the way to go… that means we could see more of his awesome tools in blender.

2 Likes

I tried it on more complex CAD model, it kinda doesn’t work with just the hard edge detection but if you use material group you get better results.

1 Like

I guess QuadRemesher is similar to ZRemesher in a number of ways. ZRemesher also works better if you use polygroups to indicate polygon areas in ZBrush. I hope something similar will be possible in the Blender add-on, maybe using vertex groups.

1 Like

the quadremesher sounds super interesting. in combination with the addon optiloops it will surely give great results.

hopefully we don’t have to wait too long.
thanks for the information @Metin_Seven

1 Like

Does this thing mean I can focus only on sculpting until it’s released? Would I still need to do retopology? I have to wait until the blender release.

In most cases, QuadRemesher should be able to do a decent automatic retopology job on a finished sculpt, as is the case with ZBrush ZRemesher.

There will be problematic areas in some complex meshes, possibly resulting in less ideal topology. For example, very thin parts are usually difficult to interpret for auto-retopologizers. And if a mesh has to be fully optimized for animation, manual retopology might still be required.

If you’d like to read more about this topic, you might be interested in a blog post I wrote about this a while ago:

https://metinseven.artstation.com/blog/Ag4W/3d-coat-vs-zbrush-auto-retopology-comparison

3 Likes

For hard surface retopo nothing beat 3d coat and i tried them all!

2 Likes

With the right settings, 3D-Coat Autopo is quite competent indeed. But have you already tried ZRemesher 3.0 in ZBrush 2019? It has been improved a lot for hard-surface meshes.

2 Likes

Well if it work the same as in zbrush for blender then i will buy without hesitation and i hope he will add both algorithm like in zbrush with holding alt key.

I was even using it for character since the job was done 90% and i just had a few mesh fix before it was animation ready.

1 Like

Hi Metin,

No i didn’t try the latest iteration but it was already working pretty good when i left the zbrush boat at version 4r7.

1 Like

It’s essentially the same tool, with the same features and results. Beta tested it in Max.

2 Likes

@Metin_Seven Any word on when this will be out for Blender?

No news yet, to my regret. But the author has promised to let me know when there’s progress on the Blender front. I will then immediately report it here.

7 Likes

The dev may be a freakin’ genius, but I’m not so sure about his marketing and/or business chops… wtf is up with his Perpetual Pro, Perpetual Indie, and Subscription options. Has anyone here ever seen an Indie option that was not for freelancers etc under $100k annually? From his site:

“You may NOT use the Software with a Single-User-Indie-License for COMMERCIAL, PROFESSIONAL and other for-profit purposes.A Single-User-Indie-License may not be used to create content for a third party that will use such content in connection with a Commercial activity.”

Good luck enforcing that pal. Just either call it Educational and require proof, or just say that indie freelancers under $100k can use it for work… Like virtually everyone else in your industry… Duh.

2 Likes

Those conditions will indeed be hard to enforce, but a perpetual Pro license is $ 110, which I think is a fine price for such an outstanding tool. No other auto-retopologizer can match the refined results of ZRemesher and now QuadRemesher. As a matter of fact, ZRemesher was my most important motive to buy the then $ 795 ZBrush.

Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated in any way to the developer, just a fan of his tools. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Exactly, the naming of the licenses might be a bit on the confusing side, but after reading the conditions I was like “well, I guess I’ll be getting the Pro license then…”. Couldn’t care less what the license is called, I’m choosing the one that suits my needs.

I for one I’m very glad that someone’s working on the most decent auto retopology tool that’s out there, and agreed to make a Blender version. Really hope there’s going to be more devs like him considering making Blender addons.

3 Likes

I ddin’t see a way to control loops using the tool when reading the manual. How does this compare to the semi automatic mudbox retopologize?