Quake4

Hi, Has anyone tryed the new quake 4. I got it. Heres my opinion on it. I first of all would like to say i like ID Software. Ok Quake 4 is a lil but of a downer because the menus and loading screens and even some of the textures look a lot like Doom3, Im guessing they used the Doom3 engine or Quake4 engine/a better remake of the doom3 engine. Even the cheats do the same thing like give all gives u all weapons and so on. But Quake 4 was pretty fun alot more lively than doom3 and it has pretty good graphics. Although i would have to say that Unreal Tournament 2007 is gonna kick every games ass but, give quake 4 a try its a blast, Literly.

And incase if ur wondering im running Quake 4 in Ultra Graphics at 1152X864 with everything maxxed out and AA on 2X. But i only get solid 27-40 Fps with that so sumtimes i run it in High Graphics at 1024X768 with AAx2 then i get a solid 45 Fps+

PC IS:

3.2Ghz P4 -Duel Core,
2GB DDR -Duel Channel RAM
Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI ExpressX16 - Piece of shit now, I WANT THE 7800!

1st, quake4 have been made with the doom3 engine (with, I believe, some modifications)

2nd, quake4 and doom3 cannot be compared gameplay wise. Doom3=horror/action, quake4=pure action.

3rd, looking like doom3? Let me tell you, ID games (the game have been made by Raven btw…) are kind of related to each other. Well not related story wise, but style wise. Look at doom’s monster and quake4 strogs. All the way mechanical parts merge with organics. All like infra-structures look like… if doom3 and quake4 have some similar look in overall, it was mostly wanted I guess. I mean, even some weapons from doom got into quake, like the BFG.

and yea, UT2007 will be cool…but still a long way before it comes out…

and yea, Q4 is a blast :smiley:

and you geforce6800 is in no way a piece of shit…6800 ultra rocks. my 6600 play all the new games perfectly…so your 6800ultra shouldn’t have any problem (I mean you run Q4 in ultra graphics…)

3rd, looking like doom3? Let me tell you, ID games (the game have been made by Raven btw…) are kind of related to each other. Well not related story wise, but style wise. Look at doom’s monster and quake4 strogs. All the way mechanical parts merge with organics. All like infra-structures look like… if doom3 and quake4 have some similar look in overall, it was mostly wanted I guess. I mean, even some weapons from doom got into quake, like the BFG.

Ever looked at Quake 3 really closely? the whole game is practicaly one big joke.

-The programmers modelled themselves.
-The guy from doom makes a cameo as a bot.
-The intro sound is that of someone beating on a file cabinet.
-The female characters make orgasmic noises.
-The bot chatter is outrageous.
-The BFG. Nuff said.

Yeah, but Q3 is multiplayer (limited single player), whereas Doom3 and Q4 have very well developed single player campaigns.

You can’t really use Q3 as a comparison, it’s out on its own.

Alex

Is there (or will there be) a Q4 demo? Just wondering.

whereas Doom3 and Q4 have very well developed single player campaigns.

yes…Doom’s story line is absolutely jaw dropping…

“Your a space marine…again…and you have to kill aliens…again…just keep doing that until we come out with the expansion pack, which will allow you shoot more aliens…and don’t miss the exciting sequels, Doom4, 5, 6 and 7! All with expansion packs!”

//define properties of ID
ID.greatEngines eq true
ID.greatGames eq false
//-------------------------------
//define properties of Valve
valve.scalableEngine eq true
valve.greatGames eq true
valve.gayForCreatingSteam eq true
//-------------------------------
if(ID < valve){
 createNewDoomSequal();
 screwID();
}

^so…bored…^

I liked quake 3 good game for it time :slight_smile:

Raven are the creaters of Soldier Of Fortune 1+ 2, probably one of the goriest games ever created :smiley: which used the quake 3 arena engine and ghoul 2 rendering.

I havent played Quake 4 but it looks amazing :slight_smile:

I bet quake4 is just as dark as Doom3 which ruins the game to me.

get your facts right… hell spawn, not aliens

Well, in Doom3 the portal lead to a area in “Space” However I think the game would be much more interesting if the demons came straight from hell and had taken place on earth instead.

Well, in Doom3 the portal lead to a area in “Space” However I think the game would be much more interesting if the demons came straight from hell and had taken place on earth instead.[/quote]

hmm…ever played the old doom?

doom1 = doom3 story mostly
doom2 = on earth…

and in doom3, it didn’t lead to an area in “space”, it lead to hell (maybe that’s what you meant anyway…) They didn’t mention it directly in D3, but it’s well known from the older games that this area is Hell.

They wanted to keep an horror type of game…having it on earth means lots of people with you, and more action most likely and more open area…they wanted to stick to closed area to give a more horor/stress/suspense feel to the game.

In anyway, Doom3 is kind of unique well you compare it to the other ID’s game. I personnaly liked it, but was kind of disapointed by its simplicity in the end.

the q3 story was brilliant. i always imagine the conversation:

Development team: Hey guess what! we made this totally sweet shootem up, theres jumping and running, and shooting, and jumping, and guns, and shooting, and you even get to shoot stuff!!!

Marketing team: Oh cool, does it have a story? cause you know everyone needs good stories these days…

D: Oh… yeah… theres like… these um… alien things, right?

M: right.

D: and they um… capture you… or something… and they make you… do…

M: running and jumping and shooting?

D: yeah! shooting! SHOOTING!!!

its great how they never really bothered with a story, its just guns and stuff. classy.

If you want a story, watch a movie or play an RPG and stop bitching when you don’t get one from an ACTION GAME. Jesus christ, even HalfLife2’s story was shit and everyone raved over it. RPGs on the other, have really intense and engrossing stories.

Ok, MAYBE there’s an action FPS out there with a great story. I’ve yet to see it though. The closest I’ve seen is HalfLife 1. The story was enough to give purpose to the horribly linear quality of the game, but not enough to be genuinely interesting.

RPGs on the other, have really intense and engrossing stories.

<homer>mmmm…oblivion…*drools</homer>

Yes, Doom1 started on the “Mars” base station
Come to think of it, can’t recall where the monsters came from in Doom1

In Doom2 the “Demons” made there way to earth and the solder after them and in Doom2 the area went deep into earth where “Satan” was destroy. Wonder why mars first, think earth will be a easy target.

and in doom3, it didn’t lead to an area in “space”, it lead to hell (maybe that’s what you meant anyway…) They didn’t mention it directly in D3, but it’s well known from the older games that this area is Hell.

by the way, you notice all those white dots when you jump rock to rock, strangly those rocks had no gravity. I wonder why ?

They wanted to keep an horror type of game…having it on earth means lots of people with you, and more action most likely and more open area…they wanted to stick to closed area to give a more horor/stress/suspense feel to the game.

I thought the lack of light was the reason they had it in space, the complete dark levels didn’t scare me a bit, if anything, it piss me off cause I couldn’t see where the hell I was going. Space demons would make more sence

There wasnt much light to force you to use your torch then when an enemy came switch back to your gun which then it would be dark causing frantic shooting and ACTION !!!

First person Shooter and story line dont match. You want a story play Final Fantasy, you want mindless killing play an FPS.

for some odd reason, every time I use the flashlight I always end up dead %|

al_capone, I’d suggest playing back doom1 and 2 and read the little text inbetween chapters -_-

and as far as doom3 goes…c’mon man, what are all those satanic stars (pentagram?sorry can’t remember the word) everywhere doing if it’s not about hell???

If you listen and read all the emails and report from the pda you find in the game, there is one that clearly state some experiment with the gate and that ?pentagrams? needs to be drawn in certain way for them to be effective and stuff like this.

c’mon man, as anyone who played doom, and they’re all gonna say the story is about you using a gate to go to hell, literally.

They started on Mars in doom1, because the gate was on mars, it’s a gate built by an ancient civilisation. Human try to use it as teleportation device but ends up in Hell. In doom2, this is quite far so I might not remember correctly, but demons ends up on earth because a replica of the gate is used on Earth as en experiment, but I might be wrong on this.

In any way…before talking shit about a game, just play it correctly and try to understand the story. I can understand you didn’t like the game…but at least critic it on something real like “the way the game was played, from room to room, killing monster again and again wasn’t cool” and that’s a fact…ok! but don’t critic on the story.

kit89, I don’t agree with you. FPS with story are often way better then ones without. It helps you get more into the game, because it actually give you somekind of important goal in the end.

Al_Capone: might be because you just suck…so go play Sim2, might be a better game for you in which you can build your own perfect family, one that keep ranting about every fucking thing of the society without actually doing much, one that hangs out on a 3d related forum without actually showing much work…

I have to agree that a story for an FPS does give the game more intrest to play, but some folk think that FPS should have a storyline that is very indepth and those type of stories dont go well.

I recently finished SoF2, what kept me playing it was i wanted to know why Taylor (John Mullins assistant) was killed, and who had the inside knowledge in the shop to help terrorist organiztion get biological weapons that killed humans but not animals. It had a very intresting story.

No, its the fact that I’m on a keyboard and there’s over a hundred keys on there and the pistol is pretty much useless since it does less damage then the flashlight %|

And why don’t you take a look at the finish project thread once in a while.