Quality Settings?

(jaycun) #1

Ok, I am rendering out project for photo printing. It is rendered in Yafray. . .

How high do I need to set the antialiasing so it looks good in print?

(masterhoshi) #2

Depends. I’ve found 4by4 to work nicely for high resolution renders, but you can increase if you like.

(digital_me) #3

What size is your finall printed image to be? If it’s say, 12cm x 24cm, we open up photoshop, create a new 12x24 document @ 600dpi:
http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/115/before6dx.th.png

Then, once it is made, go to edit->image size (or something like that…) and you will see:
http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/8318/after7ks.th.png

So, now you know how big to make your image. I know that seems big, but for print, never settle for less than 600dpi… You never know where you’ll need to print it, and 3D world does not accept images rendered smaller than 2000x2000(afaik).

(Alltaken) #4

600DPI is a little extreme, however it is often good to render larger than you will need incase you need bigger in the future.

300DPI is what i have done all my print work at (not professional but university) its what we are taught to use, its what the print shops prefer.

computers start to have ram and loading issues on large images.

oh and this stuff would be “easy” to work out if they had allowed the image DPI settings panel to be included into Blender, however due to politics they refused to allow blender to have any DPI capabilities, so if you would like a feature like photoshops image settings area then hassle the big boys about it. i have argued enough with them and got nowhere.

Alltaken

(jaycun) #5

well, I will be rendering out an 10inch by 8inch image(3000x2400). That is the standard size for the CG submissions to the art competition I am competing in.

I plan to have it printed at a photolab. I have Photoshop7 on windowsXP SP2(just FYI).

Rendering out the 3000x2400 in yafray may be a little while so, it will probably end up being 300dpi, unless there is a noticeable quality difference between 300 and 600dpi.

I guess I should go 600dpi where I can. I don’t like the idea of upsampling the 300dpi image to 600dpi (and I avoid it where possible)

What my main question is, is how high should I have the antialiasing settings in Yafray. … I’ve got 4passes at 4 samples suggested so far. Any other opinions?

(Alltaken) #6

at those kinds of resolutions it should be a problem. 300DPI i would do 4, 600 you could probably get away with none :stuck_out_tongue: but 4 is not wrong either.

remember 600DPi is 4x bigger than 300DPI so the render times will be equal.

Alltaken

(masterhoshi) #7

Don’t worry about the DPI, 3000x2400 is pretty high. You should be fine with that.

You may be able to get away with 2x2 or 4x2, it really depends on the content of the image.

(jaycun) #8

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53880&highlight=

This is the project I am referring to.

(smick) #9

There isn’t a huge reason to have DPI settings for your renders. It’s not that hard to calculate these things anyway. Just take your pixel count and fit whatever number of pixels into however large print you need at the resolution you need. If a person can’t calculate that, it’s surprising they are able to achieve anything in blender because it’s much more difficult than than basic multiplication and division.

All the dpi setting would do would be modify the header information of the graphic file. Open the file up in Pshop, gimp, irfanview, xnview, iphoto, etc etc and change all that stuff there if you want.

I’d always open up my 3D image in an editor before printting it. If nothing else but to see how the print gamut requirements will dampen the colors.

I see why you might want it to save time and all, but still, you should post process those pics anyway! PLus, any print shop AND most printing apps are going to change the DPI for you, when you tell it to fit the paper size. Pluse the page layout apps like quark or InDesign will let you scale, thereby changing the print resoultion in your print layout.

(Spin) #10

3000x2400, that’s 7.2 MegaPixels. It’ll be fine for the size that you print.

Tip: I slightly enhance my color image in PhotoShop, to make it a bit more colorful. The final printed image will look like the original.

I have had images printed by a printer in full color (4 inks). All originals were Digital images on a CDROM. 5 MegaPixals by the way. The final product was perfect on an 8-1/2" X 11.0" brochure. The images looked good!

(jaycun) #11

Does caching occlusion/irradiance samples affect print quality any? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this feature (besides the obvious speed difference)?