Question about Blender

I have no animation background but I want to get better at it.

So far I;ve been reading the tutorials and Blender seems to be a GREAT place to start but I was wondering how ‘hard’ it could be to create an animation with two figures.

Thx!

That depends entirely on how complex your figures are and how hard you’re willing to work at it. If you feel ready to start an animation, go for it! Just keep in mind it’s A LOT of work! Otherwise I would say keep running through tutorials to increase your Blender abilities, you’ll work faster and better if you know what you are doing ahead of time, getting stuck on something just causes frustration.

Pre-planning is essential to any animation as well. Grab a sketchbook and draw out all your characters and backgrounds, so you have a visual reference for when you’re working in Blender. Once you’ve made revisions and feel good about the design, begin storyboarding. Any time the camera changes or something happens in your scene, draw a frame for it! For your first animation it wouldn’t hurt to do an animatic either, where you collect all the sounds you will need for the animation, and match them to your animated storyboard… just scan or photograph all of your frames and make a movie from them… with the sounds effects. Now the only thing left to do is the Blender work, which is made easier by all the work you’ve done before hand. I’m not saying you have to be as thorough about about this stuff as Pixar is (their storyboards are ridiculous), but just get everything drawn/written out so you know what you are doing!

-Renderer10

Thank you. I’m trying out various things now and I’ll see how well I do.

you should also look at one of the many available textbooks available on blender, I found that helped structure my learning

Ave,

Excellent! I’ve found a few online. Thank you.

I’m going to buy Blender for Dummies but had a follow up question.

How does Blender ‘stack-up’ against something like Poser Pro in terms of ability to create animation? In the long run I plan to create a battle scene.

So far it seems Blender is just as good although Poser lets you buy already made models. Any thoughts or feedback anyone can give will be appreciated.

The initial learning curve is steeper in Blender than Poser.

Poser will only equip and pose existing characters. You need some other program to make new characters or items. Blender can do it all.

The meshes for ready-made Poser models are actually stored in .obj format, which can be imported into Blender. You then have to rig them though. I did start work a little while ago on a Python script that would import the rigging information as well from a Poser .cr2, but have put it on hold until 2.5 comes out.

Best wishes,
Matthew