Question about keeping number of polys down.

So I’m making a 'mech game, and I just have a quick question on keeping the polys down. Here is what i’ve made so far for the current mech.

Anyways. Instead of making so many loop cuts to add in detail and increasing polys on the whole piece, can I just make it out of several pieces to keep the overall polys down? Like make the cockpit seperately and then just push it into the other geometry where I want it? That way the main torso piece can be a low number of polys, and I can just a high poly count on areas that need it? I will be using unreal engine 4 if that makes any difference. This isn’t the final piece or anything, just messing around for a few hours before bed. Thoughts? Advice? Tips? And if anyone is a battletech fan, you’ll know what mech this is :stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

Quick answer. Yes.

Another quick question, when i make it this way, does it matter if the geometry overlaps or does it have to sit flush with the other piece? Thanks.

It can intersect. Can’t have overlapping geometry/surface/polygons where that surface is visible, it will cause artifacts because of the effect called z-fighting.

Yeah it would just be intersecting i think. Will i see z fighting in blender or will it only show up in the engine? So that i can see if what i am doing will cause z fighting or not? And i know what it looks like, just not sure the best way to make it happen if its going to.

Also, if i do make it out of smaller pieces, to make them stay where they are do i need to give them bones when animating, or use a parent child system?

you should in most cases have them as separate objects. even if its high poly, dont be afraid of separating your mesh. and mesh intersecting eachother is not a problem, just make sure you dont have two faces perfectly aligned with eachother or else you will get some wierd glitchy effect.

keep in mind, this can be avoided by just moving one of the plains a bit up, even 0.001cm is enough to solve the glitchy effect.

There are three options for the modeling: connected geometry, separate geometry, separate objects. One object can consist of one or multiple mesh parts, or you could have separate objects.

It depends on the game engine what options you have for import/export and rigging, but a skeletal system has advantages over simple parent-child relationship between objects and should try using that.