Question about object origin

Hi Guys,

Ive imported a obj file with a load of geometry and for some reason all the abject origins are miles away from the objects. This makes any global transforms really difficult.

Is there any way of fixing this without having to move the geometry to the origin? There’s a load of components in this scene including a load which i’ve hidden.

I get a sinking feeling about this:( But i thought i’d ask

Thanks for looking

Paul

Attachments

In 2.5x go Object menu-> Transform-> Origin to geometry, or use the wonderful key combination shift-ctrl-alt-C (in object mode). I think it even works with multiple objects selected. Yay!

I honestly don’t remember how to do it in earlier versions…F9 editing panels I think.

Because this is (or seems to be) a group of individual objects that are assembled as a unit, it may be more useful to have all objects share a common origin point, so they can be easily “re-assembled” at a different location. If you set the origin for each object to its own unique geometry point, you’ll have to either move things as a group or when all are selected together in order to maintain the “assembly,” or else know and allow for the offset of each object’s origin from the collective origin.

You can set the 3D cursor at a convenient common origin point, then (in 2.49b) use the Object>Transform>Center Cursor menu item to set each separate object’s origin to the same point – the cursor’s Location. Not sure if you can do this with a number of selected objects at once, you’ll have to try that out.

A tip is to move objects around in object mode so that their center follows. Moving objects in edit mode to where you want them will leave the object center behind where it was initially created. This doesn’t always happen though when working, so my best friend is the method CD38 mentioned, but that’s only because I prefer to have each object have it’s own center.

I am pretty sure all of those commands work on multiple selected objects.

Another thing to think about is when importing objects they often get imported as separate objects that don’t need to be separated. You can join parts into one with ctl j. If multiple objects are selected they will all get joined to the last object selected (or the active object).

There are also grouping options in Blender. The most obvious is parenting ctl P. Again as the join command above it goes to the last selected object which becomes the parent.

And if you are animating that is an important consideration. Just depends on what you are doing. There are many great tips in Blender for setting things up as you want them for animation. If you give us an idea of what you are going to do with these objects someone can give you some good tips on how to set up the origins and parenting to empties and do on for animating. Since there are so many options here, you may as well get it set up right. The object origin as the pivot point for instance is a great way to quickly find the animation pivot point for the object with Shft S - Cursor to Selection for example witch puts the cursor at the origin (in Object Mode) or setting the pivot point to Active Object sets this relationship up automatically as well when you select the object.

Guys, thanks a million for the help! I’ve used the Transform-> Origin to geometry and it worked like a charm. I’m going to keep the objects separate for the moment as i intend to move the panels around the console as different variants of this aircraft have different cockpit layouts using the same panels just different positions.

As for animation i will be basically animating switch positions and the pilots control levers moving. My major task at the moment is cleaning up the geometry. XSI allows Gnoms which is great in XSI as it keeps the poly count low, but importing it into Blender really messed some parts up:eyebrowlift: Serves me right for being a lazy modeller:D

Anyway i am constantly amazed how good Blender 2.5 is for a free app. It won’t be long before I’m ditching XSI out of my pipeline I think.

Thanks again guys really appreciate it.

Paul