Question about parenting for export animation

Hey guys, so I have a game character holding 2 axes/swords, and for the sake of the game engine, I used bone for the location of the weapon.

I have a simple character so the rig is also quite simple, I select the weapon bone > hand bone > ctrl+P > keep offset and so far I have a satisfying result in the movement, but some animation will require the character to drop the weapon (and therefore the bone).
I tried in the beginning with Bone Constraint but I have a lot of issue with the export, as if the keyframes are not properly registered (but looks ok in the animation when played in Blender).

So this is my main question, how can I “lock” a bone in place for some animation, but having it attach/parent to the hand most of the time ?

Thanks =)

1 Like

What game engine do you use?

The thing about bone constraint is that though it will work smoothly in Blender, but I don’t think it will export properly to the game engine.

1 Like

You have to bake your constrained bone before exporting. Check by disabeling the constraint after baking in blender to see if your bone is animated.

1 Like

Hi, yes the constraint doesn’t export this is why I tried next to use the parenting with keep offset to do a similar job, but I can’t lock the weapon bone in place while doing the animation, so I’m stuck with the constraint.
But as skuax mentioned, baking the animation helps.

Thanks for you reply, yes I found out in the meantime that I have to bake the animation in order to see the constraint, but I have a new issue:
My rig as multiples actions, and if I bake the animation I need to check the “clear constraint” box, but if I do that I’m losing all the different constraint I have on my character, which most of them I need to have for the next action.

Is it possible to bake the constraint without clearing them ?

Thanks =)

yes. I told you that just for checking. Anyway the animation ll be export correctly because keyframes are “written” .
you can also disable manually the constraint after baking.