Question on Mixing Actions

Okay, first off I’m a beginner when it comes to animation, so this question may have an easy answer or I may be trying to do something the wrong way.

I went through the BSoD Intro to Character Animation tutorial, and learned alot about the process. My question is concerning mixing actions (if this is too confusing, let me know, and I’ll try to explain better):

Say I create an action of my character breathing in and out slowly. I then create an action of him scratching his head. Is it possible to mix the two so that he will scratch his head while still breathing? Right now he starts out breathing nicely–but then, when head-scratch action starts, all the bones it has keys for (arm, fingers, etc.) override their counterpart keys on the bones from the breathing action.

I think what I’m searching for is a way to mix the keys of both actions, so one doesn’t override the other completely. In essence, I want him to be breathing, then reach up and scratch his head, but still maintain the up, down, etc. motion while he scratches.

As I said, being new to all this, there may be a completely different way to accomplish what I want and I have no idea. But that’s what you guys are for, right? :smiley:

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

-Obiwan

What you need to do is to go to the nla editor and (if you haven’t already) layer the two strips so that your breathing one occurs for some time at least with the other scratching one. Then, you need to check the mixing modes for the strips (I think you put mix/add on the second one). Secondly, check that in the nla editor, beside the name of the armature, that there is the nla icon not the action icon.

Hopefully that wasn’t too confusing…

Aligorith