Question on Smoke Heat Dissipation in Relation to Color

Hello everyone, I’ve been working in Blender 2.65 smoke sim to try and get something close to this: [http://youtu.be/dVvEPTYrcXA?t=1m30s], a large caliber gun blast starting with a fireball rolling into smoke.

Problem is, I can’t seem to get the color of the smoke to change over time with Heat. I know it can be done, and I’ve seen it done but I have not made any progress on the issue. What should happen is that the intense heat initially fades to dark smoke, but I’m only getting 1 of 2 results: 1) Color changes very slightly, then stays that way indefinitely 2) Adjusting the Ramps on the texture either gives me all fire, or all smoke, nothing in between

I’ve tried animating the temp diff, setting high differentials between domain and emitter, and changing ramp gradients. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for reading.

I’d have thought the best way to get that effect would be to have two flow objects. The fireball with little smoke, which dies out quickly, plus another for the cloud of lingering smoke.
I’m not sure why you were having trouble with the colours though. I just tried animating it and it let me change the colour of the smoke and the colours in the ramp over time.

Also it looks like you can animate the Dissolve time to switch from flame to smoky.