question

i cant remember how you switch from a view with just the the 3d view to one with the 3d view and the buttons on the bottom too,
ill try to explain better…how do you add another window in there if you only have one (i cant split the view either)
sorry that i dont know how to explain any better:o

You are probably mean full screen mode ? It is valid for the 3D view area but also for any other area (a.k.a. ‘sub-window’) like the buttons, any editor, the Preferences…
With your mouse pointer over one area of the UI use either of three shorcuts, which are all toggles:

• Ctrl+UpArrow
  • Ctrl+DownArrow
  • Shift+SpaceBar
    As I said they are all toggles and so repeating any of them will get you in and out of full screen mode.

ill try to explain better…how do you add another window in there if you only have one (i cant split the view either)

When you are in full screen mode it is impossible to subdivide the only area displayed at that moment.
If you are not in full screen mode but you really managed to join all the areas until there’s only one left bring your mouse pointer on a border, vertical or horizontal and it will tranform into a double arrow. Click RMB and choose Split Area.

I hope that I understood your problem right and that my answer will help you.

Jean

yes, thats exactly what i meant, thank you