Questions about snapping, grid, and grid increments.

I’m new to Bender but I’m getting a good grasp on it. One thing that continues to escape me is snapping and the grid and grid increments

When I’m working with say… vertices, and I want to grab and have it snap to the lines of the grid; I thought that using CTRL (if it’s not already locked to snapping) and having grid increments selected would cause it to snap to the grid as I move it. But it seems to snap to distances that are equal in length but not on the grid.

Is there a difference between “grid increments” and the visual grid you see behind the thing you are moving? They seem out of sync to me so I’m assuming there is a reason for it.

I’ve noticed the snap to grid from the menu does move it to an intersecting point on the grid but it’s not convenient if I’m shifted several items.

I am not certain, but it may have to do with the level of zoom you are using. For instance at low zooms you may only see the larger grid divisions. As you zoom in closer and closer, you begin to see even more divisions. The snap function seems to work ok but I have noticed it seem to be dependant on what you can see of your grid. In other words, if you are zoomed in quite a bit, don’t expect a snap to go to a major division line of the grid, it will only go to the next division. Hope that this makes some kind of sense.

With 2.57, procedure seems to be to select item, hot key G, enter axis, and if you drag with Ctrl key pressed, the item snaps to grid as you drag.

I’ve tried various zoom levels and G with CTRL but they both have the same result. The item does move at incremental amounts from its starting point but doesn’t snap to the visible grid.

on my PC, (Linux), at some point before I can see the grid divide its grid lines into the next smaller tenths [Ctrl] starts to snap to tenths of the visible grid.
[Shift] snaps to hundreds of the grid, I believe.

Without an axis call, (x, y, or z), the snap-to function will snap to a 2D or 3D vector of the grid.
Keep in mind that [shift]-(x, y, or z) rejects that axis from being used but allows the other two to be ‘in play’.

Some of the replies only seem not to apply if you have changed the Units in the Scenes panel to Imperial.

For example:

When you model in Metric or None snapping to grid increments neatly aligns with the visible grid. When you change to Imperial the visible major grid changes (in my project) to a 1’ spacing, however, the snapping still is in meters :-~

Pretty annoying!

Illustrator is similar with the visible grid not matching up with the file’s units.Solution: when you change the file’s units, make sure you’ve changed the grid to match.

I’m having an issue with the snap not working. I used “use_snap_project” (copied path from button) to get a bunch of verts to snap the the surface of another object (idea from a BCookie tip video).

Now for some reason, I can’t snap a vert to another vert at all. I reloaded my default scene and it works now.

v2.58.1 r38019
WinXP

Attachments

042 grip.blend (722 KB)

Snap with Increments is NOT snap to grid (though the icon might give the idea).

Snap with Increments uses steps. So your object could be on any random place on the grid, when transforming it with Snap Increments it’ll be moved in steps of 1, 10 or 100 (depending on the zoom level). And the same applies to changing the unit.

So an object located on 1.8345 on the global x-axis, cannot be placed on a grid point on the x-axis using the Snap Increments.

What Sago said is easy to see when you look at the Properties panel (the panel you show/hide by hitting N).

If you are with “snap” disabled:
When you select the object, hit G to grab, and X to lock in the x axis. Now when you drag the mouse, hold CTRL. If you pay attention to the “Properties”>>“Location”>>“X” field, you will see that number increasing by 1.000 each step. If you hold Shift together, you will notice the number increasing by 0.100 each step. Simply that. The “grid” is just the invisible 3D number grid that pervades all Blender space.

If you are with “snap” enabled the above inverts: you don’t need to use CTRL.