Questions on multiple textures in one UV space

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with texturing, specifically texturing objects for game engines. I am trying to place all of my textures into one UV space, such as in the image below.

The process I am using is to unwrap the UV map for each portion separately (one UV map for wood, one UV map for stone) and then create the “composite UV map.” I use this composite UV map to clone paint onto from the other layers. This allows me to get one UV map with all my textures. However, I am wondering if there is a better technique to getting this composite UV texture map. I am having the following problems:

1. Using the clone brush is tedious and imprecise. When you have a detailed model, it seems very time-consuming to paint over each area. Also, I can’t find a way to isolate areas that I want to paint in “Texture Paint mode.” You can’t hide faces in this mode. The clone brush will thus paint over areas that I don’t want to paint over. I have
    tried using the clipping border (ALT+B), but this isn’t a precise tool.
    -When creating the composite UV texture map, is there are better technique than using the clone brush?

2. On my composite texture map, my textures look blurry. I’m sure this is due to the fact that the area I am copying to is much smaller than the original image. I could increase the size of the composite texture map from 1024 to 2048. The drawback is a lot more memory usage. Is there any other way to make this composite texture less blurry?

Let me know if you have any tips or good tutorials on this topic. Thank you!

pic of scene/model or perhaps a blend file

Maybe you can bake your textures to this new UV space on a new image, and then get all the textures at once instead of having to manually paint them with the clone tool?

Thank you Craig, the texture baking is the feature I was looking for. Definitely easier than clone painting.

That takes care of the first problem. I am still having issues with the texture quality though. I could make all my textures 2048x2048, and that would help, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I’ve seen texture maps that were 512x512 that look less blurry than mine. Any idea what I could do to improve the quality?

Blend File: TEXTURE HOUSE TEST 2.blend (1.2 MB) (I had to take out the original wood and stone textures due to file size limitations)

1. You are wasting sooo much space in Your texture.
  2. Reuse texture if it looks anyway same

Example:

do you have original “seamless painted” textures?

Gorion, I see what you mean about re-using space. I have been more efficient with using the space. It helps, but has not resolved the blurry problem.

What was actually causing the problem was that I was “scaling” my UVs about 5 times beyond the bounds of the UV space (in order to get a smaller repeating texture), then baking. This caused my quality to plummet. I fixed it by going back into photoshop, making a new 2048x2048 texture (the original was 1024x1024) and using the pattern fill to make a texture that was smaller (so I didn’t have to scale in blender). This fixed the quality issue, but now my ONE diffuse texture is 4 MB! This seems like too much memory. I’m curious, how much memory does that texture you posted take? I can’t seem to get a decent quality image under 4 MB…

Pyro, here ay my tiling painted textures: