Questions regarding Blender on laptop GPU vs CPU

Hey. My current computer (laptop) is dying and I’m wanting to replace it within the near future. I’ve found a decent prospect with the following specifications:

*Windows 8.1 644[SUP]th[/SUP] generation Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Quad Core Processor + Intel® HD Graphics 4600
*17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView WLED-backlit Display (1600x900)
*12GB DDR3L System Memory (2 Dimm)

OR

instead of the i7-4710HQ, choosing

4[SUP]th[/SUP] generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U Dual Core Processor + 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M Graphics

The first option is a quad core CPU, and the bottom option is a gpu that I found is listed as having 640 CUDA cores. For a laptop, I’m thinking either one will be sufficient, but I wanted to get others opinions because one of these might be significantly better. The price difference is about $150. I’m open to looking at Desktops, but my entire budget can’t go over ~900 USD, and I’d prefer a laptop for the sake of mobility. This specs listed are for an HP Envy model 17 t, and the price varies from $730-875 and which is a promo deal. It’s run on Windows 8.1. I currently run Linux and am pleased, very pleased with the performance in Blender and a little nervous about going back to windows. I don’t use the computer for games or anything intensive besides Blender.

Any input? Let me know. Thanks.

Hi,
I just bought your option 2 only to find that the GTX 850M isn’t supported yet

Freen, thank you for the information. I will research further tonight to see if there’s windows compatability. If I find anything, I will update here. I would prefer to do Blender work in Linux, but I might have to see if I could get it to work in Windows. Also, I just checked your showreel and that’s incredibile!

Hi, why is 850m not supported, Compute Capability 5.0 cards are supported since Blender 2.71.
Anyway, Frobenius.Edge I would go for the better CPU, the “m” cards are crippled and often has heating problems.
If you can spend 900$ for a desktop you get a 2 times faster CPU and a 4 times faster GPU.
Most laptop user I know leave there laptop at home 90% of the time, buy one if you really need to be mobile.

Cheers, mib

Thanks MIB. I am considering a Desktop now. This one looks like a really decent deal. The Hp Envy 700-215xt is on sale now for about $630. It has a i7-4770 Quad core processor. 3.4 Ghz. No video card included, nor a monitor. And is has only 8GB of ram. I’m thinking about just getting it and upgrading it over time. Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup? This seems like a really great price for this one with this cpu. Thoughts?

Also, I searched and wasn’t able to find for sure if the previously mentioned GPU in the first post is compatible with Blender.

EDIT: Mib, your reasoning won me over. I went with a desktop. Considering the price, power and not having to worry about overheating, there’s no real reason for a laptop for me. Thanks man!

That’s what I though… hmmm maybe there’s another issue. Looking into it. Sorry if I misinformed