Questions

few things:

• I have set the file paths in user pref but still when I have to select files it starts on the delfault path
  • Is it possible to change more things than color on blender? Something like a skin file?
  • is it possible to convert a string to code?

1 - strange, but happens to me too (XP)
2 - no, unless you have your own compile with different settings…
3 - what?

As for the third question (I forget the term for it) it’s basically creating a string the contains code (I’m assuming Python code here) that you then execute just as if it was part of the original script(s). In an earlier life I used to do this with FoxPro. JavaScript has this ability and I’d be suprised if Python can’t do it as most interpretedlanguages allow for this ability.

Same for me too. I think the paths are for Blender knowing where stuff is rather than affecting dialogs but it would be really handy if when I loaded an image it would go to the images folder.

Yes, you can change all sorts of things besides colour. You can have bump maps, displacement maps, you can map images and even movies around your models. You can’t get ultra complex shaders though but if you are able to use the Blenderman export script, you can get renderman scenes where you can use unlimited programmable shaders that will let you do anything. For the most part, Blender’s stuff will let you do what you need.

If you mean compiling python code, I think it’s possible in Blender - I’ve seen some stuff used with a .pyc extension:

http://effbot.org/zone/python-compile.htm

Not sure if that’s what you meant. I don’t know if Blender’s Python interpreter runs these either. If you just want to be able to run scripts without having to load them as text first, you have to add some code to the beginning of each script and put them in one of the script directories. Then in the scripts panel, these show up and you just select the script name to run it.

osxrules:

Yes, you can change all sorts of things besides colour. You can have bump maps, displacement maps, you can map images and even movies around your models. You can’t get ultra complex shaders though but if you are able to use the Blenderman export script, you can get renderman scenes where you can use unlimited programmable shaders that will let you do anything. For the most part, Blender’s stuff will let you do what you need.

:smiley: I meant ON blender not IN blender lol. like changing the button images

If you mean compiling python code, I think it’s possible in Blender - I’ve seen some stuff used with a .pyc extension:

no, that’s not what i mean. I mean like i have a string containing “if(a=1)” and then using it as code (like FourMadMen said)

Ah, now I see what you meant. If you’d mentioned themes, I would have known. I don’t think you can do that unless as solmax says you modify the code and recompile.

Again, now I see what you’re talking about. I haven’t seen that sort of thing used before but this was in the Python documentation. I think that’s what you want:

http://docs.python.org/ref/exec.html