Quick Captain blender questions.

Hey, I’m new to blender. I started doing some tutorials and picked up Introducing Character Animation With Blender. Here’s how far I got with captain blender:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2811/captainblendervd9.th.jpg
But I’m having problems with the arms (pg 54-55); Do I extrude, rotate, and extrude again and rotate again? And to what degree do I rotate because I can’t seem to get it to line up with the pic. And does that really matter?

Sorry for being so confused, and thank you for your time.

It looks like Tony’s extruded the arm and adjusted the position using grabs rotates and scales. Then before he added the hand, he rotated the arm longitudinally so the palm faced down. There appears to be some rotated edges at the elbow area.

Does it matter? Not as much as you’d think. The hands will be much easier to rig when facing palm down, and the slant of the arms helps avoid some of the distortion that might occur when bending a joint too much (since the arms are raised half way, you can raise them to shoulder height or lower them to his sides without much distortion.)

Other than those considerations, matching the background image is a guide, not a blueprint. At some point, you stop modeling the background image and start modeling the model, if you know what I mean. You’ll be doing enough tweaking on the mesh later on to worry about it now.

Welcome to BlenderArtists

The way I understood it and it seems to align with the book is. You extrude the arm and then you twist the lower part elbow and below by 45 deg counter clockwise and then you take the end loop and twist that one 45 degrees ccw again. Then you can model the hand with palm facing downwards getting the benefits Orinoco stated.
Take a look at the supplied captain blender body on the disc that should clear things up.

Happy blending…

Thank you for all the advice. I have one more small question, nothing that warrants another thread: How did you go about attaching the head to the circle that later becomes the neck.