Quick observation about material nodes...

I’ve noticed that meshes with a material nodes material still eat rasterizer processing even when out of frame.
But they don’t if they are invisible…

I thought most objects these days were automatically culled from rendering if out of frame. Why not do the same with nodes materials? Is this a bug or just a missing feature?

Sounds like it needs love - I have not noticed this yet because I only use 1 node material ATM.

does replace mesh swap a material to a non node material fix it?
(temp fix)

All my terrain tiles use the same material. If I have a lot of tiles the rasterizer profile is really high, even though most of them are out of frame. But if I make most of them invisible (in python ob.visible = False) the drain drops back down again. As a fix I can set any tiles outside the camera area to invisible, but Id rather Blender handled that for me. Otherwise Im just shifting the drain from rasterizer to logic…

if the tiles are static, use a kd tree, and have 2 radius,

Low radius and higher radius,

objects that are only on higher radius are far away, set them invisible :smiley:
objects that are in the close list set visible ,

in a array 1024x1024 I was getting about .15 ms from this I think ** logic

again * temp fix until they Cull node materials by camera *

Thanks. Ill take a look. My maps are less than 100x100 so it’s not really a big deal. But it seems like something isn’t working quite as it should. Maybe there’s a reason for that or maybe it’s just been overlooked.

was just reading moguri’s blog,

"

• BL_BlenderShader – Another shader class, but instead is used for Blender’s generated GLSL shaders. This means that custom-made user shaders have a completely different code path than the builtin shaders. Nice."

Kdtree are not good structures for this. Use an octree, extruded quad tree or

Kdtree are not good structures for this. Use an octree, or extruded quad tree for this