Quick question

And a noob one at that. Just need to fix this, Removing doubles and/or flipping normals don’t work. Any support is appreciated, though this should be easy.

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/139/Violin.bmp

Did you look at the normals manually and see if there’s something wrong with them? I’m not sure what exactly the problem is, but that looks like a smoothing error of sorts. Blender doesn’t smooth flat objects well, seeing as they’re already flat. =/

Everything looks O.K.with the normals. Is there an easier way to speed model a violin?

It looks more like you have two faces in the same location.

First off, make sure you don’t have a duplicate object in the same place. If you don’t then:

To correct it, you need to select a face in problem areas and then delete it. If there wasn’t anything under it, just go ahead and rebuild the face. It can take a while to do this, obviously.

Also, it is possible to manually flip normals using the “flip normals” button in the edit panel. Perhaps try that.

Go and look at the normals again. It really looks like an issue which can’t be resolved with only re-calculating them but with manually adjusting them, as stated above. Otherwise, please post some screenshots and / or the .blend.

And how can we know if there’s a better way to speed model a violin if you don’t tell us, which method you have used? :wink:

Heh…you’re right there. All I did was use a ref image, trace around half the violin (ctrl+left-click) and flip duplicated vertices. Extruded, then filled the bottom, traced the little holes and filled the top.

Here’s the .blend file.

The “top” of your violin all the normals face the wrong way and parts of the sides too - depends on where they are on the curve - well the all the mirrored right side the faces are the wrong way. To see more clearly go to F9 (Editing) under the Mesh Tools 1 panel select “Draw Normals” and increase Nsize up to .5 or more and you will see where all the normals are pointing the wrong way … I guess when you mirrored for some reason the normal direction got flipped …
You know you could have just used a curve (bezier) to do this and convert the curve into a mesh rather then the Ctrl+LMB method (this could be the cause of it - I don’t how a vertex normal as data could account for face normals when created as a 2D outline)… You might not get this problem if duplicate and mirror the curve before you convert them to mesh . Because right now it looks like you have half your violin’s faces to flip (select them and flip normals - the f-holes don’t make this easy) .

Owkhey. I took your advice, re-did the violin with bezier curves. Looks like I have the same problem. I don’t know anything about normals so I can’t tell if they’re pointing the right way. They seem to all be pointing outwards. Anyway, I suck at describing things, so here’s the new .blend file.

OK this new file is fine . Normals are pointing in the right direction when the blue lines that stick out of a face is pointing (is longer) out . And all the normals are fine here . What you want to do is to Set Solid in F9(editing) in Object mode - not Set Smooth . Filling in complex faces creates some ugly geometry and Set Smooth makes it look even worse .

I would suggest using mesh modelling instead of curves.

While Curves can produce those nice smooth curves, when converted to meshes they have tons of tris, which are a little harder to smooth. One thing I found from your blends is only having the faces on the side of the violion (not the top or bottom large faces) with set smooth.

Mesh modelling could probably afford you as much control, and with subsurf and box or vert by vert modelling it wouldn’t be terribly hard.

Gah! I just deleted my mesh model! However, I will try smoothing the sides only. I need to give it a smooth look, and set smooth is obviously not working.

You need Autosmooth enabled as well. Only then you can expect it to work properly with your violin and all side set to “SetSmooth” (I have seen an awesome new feature in the CVS, edge split, which you could put to good use here - it seems similar to smoothing groups…if you do a poly model with subsurf, that means, which is what I would do).