quick rendering

i have a blend file with a 30 second animation that i want to render, it is a scene with alot of geometry in it 3 very nice and detailed fighters and a detailed landscape( lots of subdivision in edit mode) for them to fly across. i have a bit of compositing as well to add some lens flare effects using the node editor i have turned off ray tracing( unneccessary) and anti aliasing( nice but it slows it down too much) how do i make it render faster , it is only a small sized video anywaay( 500x350). thanks. please any suggestion is welcome.

1: Tweak the performance section in the render property’s tab.
2: Buy a faster computer.

how should i tweak the performance section?
update: i found that decreasing( yes i know it should be the opposite) the number of tiles speeds it up by a few seconds. i also noticed that when i render the process that takes longest is the “preparing scene data” and “occlusion pre processing” how do i speed this up.

Reduce the geometry density by remodeling the entire scene to render faster.

If you start from the beginning with render times in mind you won’t have to try and fix it at the end of the process as you are now. Heavy meshes can add realism to a scene, but with a 500x350 target deliverable there is no need for hi-resoultion meshes. Mid to low quality well textured meshes will do.

The deliverable really does drive this process.

If you have a multi-core machine that you are rendering on, I bet Blender is not using all the cores. (open up your task manager to observe CPU load) Because the preparing scene data and occlusion passes are only single core processes. What I often do if I endup in this situation is to get my scene ready to render my 900 frames, i.e. 30 seconds @30fps. Then I save the scene. I set the end frame to 300 and start rendering that animation. With one copy of Blender rendering frames 1-300 I open up another copy of Blender and bring up the scene to render. I set it’s timeline to render 301-600 frames and issue a render animation. Do the same thing with a third copy of Blender for the remaining frame range.

While your over all render time per-frame may still remain the same you can render 2-3 times as fast using multiple copies of Blender to render simultaneous frame ranges (depends upon core count and material/lighting settings in the scene).

Try a different accelerator structur in performance settings, start with Octree.
REduce subsurf (if you use) setting to 2 max. 3, nobody need it higher.
It is very hard to help without the file.

Cheers, mib.

Id save a copy of the scene and use the decimate modifier on the terain object to bring its poly count lower. (apply the modifier to reduce file size as well)

Are the fighters exactly the same? if you copied them with “shif+d” you duplicated data in your scene. “alt+d” will copy the object, but link the same data to it, reducing memory use and probably proccesing time.

Setting up network rendering could also help if that is an option.

There are probably many other good options as well.

If its only a 30 second video you’re after just power through it and be patient. let your computer do it.

Some links you should look at:
http://www.blenderguru.com/4-easy-ways-to-speed-up-cycles/

http://www.blenderguru.com/13-ways-to-reduce-render-times/

Hope that helps.

i want shadows to stay on but is there some way that i can change the settings so they are rendered faster even if the quality is lower, i mean simple shadows not ray traced ones.

what are your occlusion settings? Approximate AO is very slow for dense scenes. Turn on falloff, make sure samples aren’t any higher than 1, keep the error fairly high, and turn on pixel cache. All will help reduce times, but it’s simply not a very efficient algorithm. It’s often faster to use raytraced AO and blur that pass in the compositor in post.

by AO do you mean ambient occlusion, i have turned that off. it is my gather that is set to approximate, the passes is set to zero. would it be faster to use ray traced gather or to change the error value( which way) on the approximate gather.UPDATE: raytrace turns out to be faster for gather, but the image is a bit dark, how do i brighten it? in the compositor perhaps.

Raytrace doesn’t work with gatherIndirect lighting only functions with approximate. If you’re not using ambient occlusion and you’re not relying on bounce lighting which only works with emit materials and certain lamps, then simply turn it all off because it’s not doing anything for you anyway.