Quickest way to achieve this?

I find myself doing this a lot and I’m wondering if there is a quicker process.

If loop cut #1, then bevel the cuts, the green and blue lines are not equal in length, this is want I want to achieve.

I usually do this by taking the face resulting from the bevel and sticking them next to each other (#4) then size the last bit and loop cutting that however many times I want (#5), finally joining it all together. Is there a quicker way?

Is the result you want #3 or #5?
SO: all the narrow faces are equal in width and the larger faces also?
is there any set width or ratio?

After step 5 I would organize the faces to resemble 3, but yes exactly what you said, narrow faces have equal width and so do the larger ones, but ordered as they are in number 3. No I have no set width or ratio I tend to just eyeball what looks good when I use bevel to make the narrow ones, then do the rest of the process to get the larger ones equal.

Just to add to that, if the narrow ones were pillars and the larger ones walls connected by the pillars, obviously I would just make the wall, make a pillar, and then use an array modifier or just duplicate. In my case though I already have a given face I want to ‘decorate’ like this and I can’t resize it, so after I’ve used bevel and chosen a width for the narrow ones the wider ones have to fit in the space that is left.

So #5 would have 4 larger faces?

I would start from the given face and loopcut that, dividing it in 4 parts like in #2.
Then i would add a loopcut to just the first of the 4 new “big” faces, and would erase the remaining 3. Then I would add an array modifier to the first “group” of 1 big + 1 narrow.
This way you start with the given lenght, you precisely cut it into 4 parts, and readding 3 of them with the array modifier should give you the same length you had at the start.

Edit: mmm… maybe not tho: you would have 4 big and 4 narrow, not 4 big and 3 narrow…

Yeah in that case. I see I only did 3 cuts on the bigger bit on 5, my mistake.

In general though, any number of cuts.

I’ll have a face like the top one, of any size, and I want to cut a bunch of narrower faces into it that are equally spaced - no specific number and no specific widths, usually different every time.

The edge ones always end up wider since beveling the middle lines doesn’t shorten it from both sides, it’s just been a massive time waster making them equal every time.

Yeah that’s tricky. I think the easiest is to match those widths on the outer sides to the inner faces, but then you shrink the overall width.

You can extrude the left and right edges and then bevel them too. And then at the end delete the extrude outer quads and the outer beveled faces.

You can then scale the whole thing up along the axis, but your beveled faces will scale too.

1 Like

1 Take note of your original object width
2. Loopcut it into as many major sections as you need
3. Extrude out an edge on either side
4. Bevel the all the inner edges
5. Delete the extra wide and narrow faces from each edge
6. Scale the thing in object mode back to your original width and Apply Scale.

1 Like
3 Likes

Another solution practicable for lower count of cuts is bevel from the mid, if you need 3 pieces make 5 and bevel the mid, disolve the “gaps” and cut off. faces*2-1 = cuts

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the solutions. I suppose using scaling as the final step is ultimately the quickest way. The only other option would be to write a script, might do that.