Quickly rotate different parts of a mesh in Sculpt Mode to pose fingers from a hand

Hello, guys. I’m currently sculpting a character and decided to do the hands separated and all flatten for a better creation process.

But now I have it mostly finished, I need to rotate the fingers in a more relaxed pose so the rig works better in the future.

I have tried from Sculpt Mode, but the rotation works from the pivot. So it gets pretty annoying going back to Object Mode, changing the pivot, getting back into Sculpt Mode, rotating and then doing that for each join of each finger.

So I decided trying adding bones and making a temporary rig to pose them. But since it’s a high poly Blender crashes or keeps loading forever when I parent it to the armature with the automatic rig.

Here’s a quick look of the hand and the temporary bones:

In Z Brush you can quickly set a pivot and rotate the high poly mesh. Isn’t there something like that in Blender? I did some research, but couldn’t find anything.

Also, I would like to know your opinion on this: Do you guys think I really need to rotate the fingers in a more relaxed pose for rigging? Or maybe it isn’t such a big deal keeping it all flatten and with the fingers wide open?

Thank you!

There’s the Pose brush, have you tried it? Doesn’t seem easy to use, maybe with the Mask brush…

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, @moonboots!

I’ve just checked it and looks like to define your joins you need to create seams and the problem is that this is a high poly so I don’t have such a thing:

So what I’m thinking now is creating a seam based on polys selection. But is there a way to create a seam from that?

If I do Mark Seam on that, it add seams to all the edges. But is there a way to tell it to create a seam between the selected polys and the none selected ones?

Thanks!

Seam? I haven’t heard about that… here is a quick tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiOT1PLCTvo

1 Like

Yeah, saw it. But what I didn’t got last time is that the size of the brush is the one that defines the rotation point. So thanks for that!

About the seams, you can set the the joins base on them. It works great on low polys:

Anyways, I’m trying now changing the brush size and masking as you suggested me. It works, but it’s not that precise since I need to adjust the camera “by hand” for the rotations and the fingers naturally have have their own rotations on the different axis. It would be much better having some kind of bones or using a precise pivot.

But thanks again for this workaround! It would be useful in other cases :ok_hand: