Quills and Spines

Yes, I’m afraid that I’ve been looking around and have yet to find a tutorial on how to make quills, such as the quills of a porcupine, hedgehog, tenrec, or echidna.

Now I know I could make loads and loads of tiny quills, which, conceivably, would be a pain in the arse. I wondered if there would be a simpler way of making them. I was hoping to make an anthropomorphic creature of which has numerous quills across it’s body, even pulled into a ponytail while other’s sort of hang about.
You get the general idea. If anything, it’s quite like thicker hair, only the upper half will be a different color then the lower half, if that helps on anything.

Either tutorials or general advice, I’d be happy to read/listen.

Notably, please keep your terminology to the basics, as I confess, I’m actually quite new to this and figured that, the best way to do this would be to get the hang of modelling and dive right in and learn things as i go along. I felt things would sink in better that way. Plus I would get a good idea of what I needed to learn as I went. This is actually my second model, so you’ll have a general idea of exactly HOW new to this I am.

Again, keep the terminology SIMPLE. Or elaborate anything you feel I won’t know. Either one works since I’ll need to learn them anyway.

an few array modifiers and a curve modifier?
If you know the terminology, its easy to search google or youtube and find some good help. also look here: http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

I’m just learning myself and though I’ve used the above, its still subconscious for me so not very easy to explain but those sources have answered nearly all of my questions I’ve had so far.

You might have some luck with the particle system. Here’s a tutorial on making hair. If you make the hair base really thick and the hair really long, you’ve got a quill. This tutorial is based on the existing particle system. The Peach project is causing major changes to the particle system, but the updates really haven’t hit the street yet.