Quixel tems and license - baking textures on models

I checked a few pages on this forum, but still I am not sure:

My plan is to make modular assets and bake Quixel’s textures on it. I suppose the baked textures (and most likely modified with other grunge and smudge textures, etc) are pretty useless to re-use and therefore wont harm Quixel.
Any idea if that is allowed?

This is legally irrelevant. It is also irrelevant that you’re making modifications as you’re still using megascan property as a component. This doesn’t even come close to fair use. The terms of the unlimited plan explicitly require the result is used/rendered in Unreal Engine. You won’t get much in way of answers here because you’re asking non-lawyers for legal advice.

The correct and most useful place to ask is the quixel support forums. You’re looking for an easy answer and you’re not really going to get one. If you want to use it to resell in a way that it can be used outside of Unreal Engine, you’re entering dangerous territory. I wouldn’t do that.

That said, there are many other places to get textures that you can use freely. for example: https://www.3dassets.one/

1 Like

Thanks. I know I have to be at Quixel for the most correct answer. Checked a few answers on their forum, maybe it’s my English but found it vague to me. Could be that I find it hard to set my my mind on such matters. So yes, that’s why I went here.
But I rather use my own procedural textures than textures offered by others than Quixel. When I check now my old textures (that Extreme PBR is also using, that made a revenue of about 120.000 dollar in a year if I am not wrong), 80 procent is crap compared to Quixel’s textures. I am not exaggerating on the quality of other “super turbo mega pbr textures”.

Sure. A photo source of a real thing will beat our approximated math any day of the week.

Also, it just occurred to me that your end result isn’t unreal engine, but a mesh with textures. It’s not actually a grey area at all-- the answer is a pretty hard no.

Thanks for the clear hard answer, that was what I was looking for:

:stuck_out_tongue: everyone’s wrong some of the time!

I guess I better ask Quixel themselves indeed, if I read this:

You’re welcome to use our services in works-for-sale provided that you’re not distributing raw Megascans assets and that you’re providing value over and above the value of the assets themselves. A way to interpret this:

You created a new set of tileable textures with the intention to sell them, created from existing tileables on Quixel.com. If they look like what we’re already provididng, it’s probably a no-go. There’s no value being added above the value of the assets used to create them.

You created a unique model that uses Megascans assets baked into the texture set(s). This is totally OK - have at it!

Source:

Mind the idea was to sell models, where I bake textures on the model.

included/bundled materials are designed for commercial and non-commercial use, free of charge.

This refers specifically to the textures that are populated at Mixer install time which fall under a different license (the free license section 4.1.5) which is not matching what he said in his post. (https://help.quixel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006130057-Are-the-assets-on-the-Unreal-Unlimited-plan-free-)

They avoid giving crystal clear answers because the lawyers would have their jobs if they did… They really need their legal folks to chime in and draft a plain english basic guide… But lawyers don’t do that for a reason: they don’t represent us and can’t give us legal advice.

1 Like

So unless I am going to make games, I can pay Quixel monthly just to look at the textures?
Well, I can’t imagine it, and to be sure I asked them here: https://help.quixel.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360014606938-Using-Megascan-textures-to-bake-on-models-and-sell-the-models-

Good news, got my reply

It looks like you’re using a Personal plan. Under this plan, you’re absolutely allowed to bake textures into models and sell them on any marketplaces you’d prefer - just make sure that the raw assets aren’t accessible. In situations where you’d be applying foliage atlases to trees, however, that wouldn’t work - the users would have access to the raw scanned data and thus it would run afoul of our Terms of Use.