Quoted from the Orange Blog, Orange 2?

Of course this can only mean one thing… we gotta prepare for the next Open Movie project. :slight_smile:

Is this for real, may happen, or a joke? Because another open movie project must only mean another giant boost for Blender.

I think for their next movie they should literally push Blender as far as it will go in all departments and be picky for new features needed for new effects, that way they can get more weaknesses ironed out and even more major features then during the last one put in;)

I really think they’ll wait until the end of the year until they start making another new open movie project. Just look at what ideas have been accepted for Google Summer of Code. And cloth sim and everythign else, too.

But if they started it in the summer the feature developments may or will overlap GSoC and thus increase the number of features going in at the same time. But it’s all on the word of what Ton is planning to do.

Don’t be greedy

But if they started it in the summer the feature developments may or will overlap GSoC and thus increase the number of features going in at the same time. But it’s all on the word of what Ton is planning to do.

However, I think there’ll be a lot of developers who need to be doing both.

Oh, and yeah, give them a break.

Ton has plans for an Orange 2, but like the previous movie he will need cosponsors (I think it was like 80% of the last movie was funded by the cosponsor, I think it was 20% was blenderfoundation and movie sales - I could be a bit off on the split). I seriously doubt he would have things ready prior to the end of summer - there is Siggraph to prepare for and GSoC, also too much needs to be done behind the scenes regarding funding. Plus he still needs to get a vacation/breather.

LetterRip

The best thing to do is let the latest changes to Blender get completely bug-fixed and smoothed out, and then start thinking about it. It will be best to let it sit for at least a year-year and a half. No need to rush to the next one. That is what Hollywood does and you know how good that usually makes the sequels.

Plus ED should really make the indy film circuit and get a bit more exposure. It would allow for some bigger and better sponsors. This would in effect allow for a film with fewer constraints on time, size and quality.

Of course, this is not to stop any other group from attempting the same thing. Why wait for the official Blender Foundation movies.

That’s not what hollywood does, it takes years for pixar to make a movie like that. They have hundreds of people working on it, what they fire them after every movie, do nothing 1.5 years and then hire new people?

I thought they had concurrent teams working on projects whose schedules heavily overlapped.

It is a mix IMO, some people remain, and many are made redudant until another project. And in between they make a short film without pressure to gather new ideas and to relax people and so on.

I meant Hollywood in general. Not just animated films.

Well I can understand that, he’s been practically breaking sweat working on Orange and then the render recode. And a lot of people think he deserves a break.:slight_smile:

Though I think there would be none to worry about features because there’s going to be other people submitting them while he takes his break.