radeon vs geforce?

Hi

I think my graphic card is getting old, tying to buy recent one.
I want to buy another radeon card, but people say geforce is faster and more compatible with 3d.

I love radeon’s warm color and smooth perfomance with movies, old geforce I used was very fast but its color was kinda artificial.

Now people say both cards are good for 3d and movie, without distinctive difference, but still some people prefer radeon for its color and some prefer geforce for speed and 3d performance.

I’ll choose color over speed but some say both cards are good now, regarding their differences is pointless.

any advice?

Thx ahead.

That’s true to some degree. NVIDIA drivers have a better track record and they offer CUDA, which some applications can take advantage of.

Blender supports GPU-accelerated raytracing with Cycles using both CUDA and OpenCL (which is the “open” alternative to CUDA). There was a lot of trouble with OpenCL drivers on AMD, but the situation is slowly improving. You might soon be able to render with OpenCL on AMD, more-or-less fully-featured.

I love radeon’s warm color and smooth perfomance with movies, old geforce I used was very fast but its color was kinda artificial.

I don’t know when you last did this comparison, but these days all GPUs output digital signals (via HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI) and there is no difference whatsoever in the colors (assuming you use the same color profiles).

There are still people who claim there is a difference. There really isn’t. Either they’re suggestible and see things that don’t exist, or they had their color calibrated and the settings were lost when they switched GPUs.

Anyway, getting a “warmer” or “colder” look is something you can easily configure for yourself.

any advice?

If you want to play it “safe”, get an NVIDIA card. If you want to do GPU rendering and want to gamble on AMD/OpenCL support improving, you might want to consider an AMD card for better value (e.g. the 390/390X offer 8GB of VRAM for a fairly low price).

I’m not fully aware of this topic but on the standard NVIDIA settings there are some wrong values. There is a fix for it, but to this day I think every NVIDA card has to deal with this.
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2p3xs7/nvidia_users_using_hdmi_output_youre_most_likely

btw. if you’re not aware of the gamma blending option in photoshop blur was always a lie

to fix that you’ll need to activate the “Blend RGB colors using gamma” and switch to LAB-colorspace

for anything else hold on to what BeerBaron said

I’d go with a GeForce for now. Should OpenCL supercede CUDA, you can always sell it and find a Radeon later down the road.