Radi☢️active Smoke Detectors - Technology Explore 🔍

Hey everyone!

Sharing another project on Branch Education .This time we’re exploring the hidden technology inside the smoke detector that might be hanging on the ceiling and you’d never thought about it.

Also I would like to share with you some tips and tricks, breakdown the creation process since it is fully modelled, rigged and animated inside Blender., but first…
Here is the video for you to watch:

Please don’t forget to like the video and leave comment.

So, let’s dive into creation process…
This entire project rendered in EEVEE and you might think that its good for preview only but I believe that Realtime rendering is a key when you want to create similar project with narration going on and you have to match a lot of your keyframes to it. Also it is a really good compromise between workflow speed and image quality.
This project took us around 3 months to animate and few more months for research and asset creation but only a 2 weeks for final 4K rendering and as a result we got pretty immersive animation with amazing sound design.

To create all of these animation we’ve used a lot of different techniques and I’m going to breakdown some of them as well as share some reference links so you can learn it yourself.

Box animating

its done with some simple bones and you can learn more details from this tutorial:

Procedural Smoke Shader

Simulating the smoke is not effective for all use cases, it takes tons of time to create proper simulation and in this video I’ve tried to use animated smoke shaders and it worked really well.

Simply its just some planes with animated shader.
You can learn more about this shader and get it for FREE form here:

Also you can create your own pretty simple smoke shader like you’ve seen here:

A lot of particle simulations
However there were tons of particle simulation in this project, they all look different with various parameters but in general they worked in same logic - emitting object from source at specific speed and disappear

For instance here is the simulation with attractive force at the top and bottom:

it was 2 different particle simulations where I used top and bottom discs as a collision objects and applied force field with negative value.
Same goes to the scene with Geiger Counter:

Some more tricks
Check this bulb stylized glowing effect shader:

As you might notice, some Wave texture mixed with Spherical and Radial gradient texture gives this result - in this case Wave texture’s Phase value is animated with #frame - which basically results with infinite animation ( not really good for long format animations, cause many of these drivers can slow down your viewport performance)
One more thing I’d like to share is this numbers animation which is created using Geometry Nodes:

GEO_Nodes_Numeric_text.blend (98.1 KB)

All of these techniques are pretty straightforward but I wanted to share this knowledge for those of you who just learned the basics and want to make practically useful animations using certain features of Blender. Note that I didn’t use any special addons for this project, all animations are done using Blender internal tools.
I hope this breakdown will inspire you to create your animations for different type of projects.
And don’t forget to keep your scenes nice and clean with proper collection structure and naming.
Thanks for reading until the end!

Best wishes,
Mike Radjabov

3 Likes

this was made completely in blender? WOW.

great job

1 Like

yes) Blender is amazing :grinning: