Radiance HDR support in Blender just comitted!

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2005-November/005037.html

Just built and tested a little - GREAT!

What’s this do exactly? :expressionless:

DwarvenFury

can we use hdr to light a scene for blender internal render now? is this done through AO? what does this mean exactly?!

:slight_smile:

As far as I understood, it allows to output HDR from internal. Also it allows to set .HDR as texture, but I’m not sure if it uses all the info or converts them to 8bit silently. If it does not HDR AO should work. (I’m neither developer nor I looked at actual code, so not quite sure.)

Anyway, HDRI output is very useful for postpro/creating HDRI for YafRay etc…

BTW, here is the build (never used Rapidshare before…)
http://rapidshare.de/files/7916633/blender20novMinGW.zip.html
(Not the best builder out there and GCC on Windows is not that great, but still…)

hdr is only for exporting high dynamic range renders, internally [like for loading textures etc.] it converts it to 8 bit.

thanks for the clarification. for a second there i thought we could use hdr in blender like we can in yafray to light the scene.

well… if there’s a gifted coder with too much time on his/her hands… it wouldnt be that difficult i assume :slight_smile:

Yay!!! This is very good news indeed… this is going to save a lot of rendering time, I mean you can vary the lightness of the scene without rerendering. Too bad there’s no real HDR lighting yet, as there is in Yafray, but maybe someday… :slight_smile:

All this will do is allow .hdr usage. Once imported, it strips everything but the color+alpha information out for it’s internal use. Thus it’s simply another file format, much like PNG or TGA.

It will mainly be of help for those who would rather not convert their .hdr’s back and forth all the time in an external app.

Now we must wait for hdri support in case rendering in yafray. I know about hdri support in yafray, but for now I have to edit xml file. It will be great if yafray could pass 32bit output to blender.

Well, the main point of it is to allow post-processing with a high dynamic range, allowing far far far more control over colour correction, levels adjustment, and way better looking blurs etc. It’s fantastic, can’t wait to get OpenEXR, too :slight_smile:

@TRIDENT !!!

how do you build with mingw on windows?
(assuming you don’t use cygwin, but msys - with scons?)

I asked before in blender forums, got no reply.

please, explain ‘exact’ steps!

if possible without use of cvs - i.e. using official source releases.
what do I need?
(I’d need to set up compiles to get a deb installer plus windows exe from same source with some extras I need - 2.36, 2.37 and 2.4 when released)

Hey B, could you do me a favour and explain it’s practical use as of right now? I ask because I’ve just saved the image as a hdri, and opened it Photoshop CS2. Apart from it being wildly oversaturated and painfully bright, I couldn’t do much to change anything.

I’ve only got CS1 and so I don’t know how Photoshop handles HDR files (i bet it just downsamples to 16 bit though, with 16 bit precision, but no extra exposure latitude), but if you download Cinepaint, you can have a play in there. The software itself has a lot to be desired, but you can really see the value of the high dynamic range if you do a levels adjustment, or use the gamma/exposure tool. It’s also great if you use a high energy (like 10 or so) spec-only lamp to get some really nice bright specular highlights. Then when you blur or motion blur them, they act as they should, making nice opaque circles or lines, rather than just smearing out.

Anyway, hopefully ina few months Blender will have these sorts of compositing/colour correction tools built in, so you can do it all within :slight_smile:

Well, [edit] http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2005-July/011385.html is a BF-commiters list letter where most of the voodoo is explained. You need to patch more .h files now, but othervise all is as said there and works ok. And no, I use Make, not sCons.

thanks. I will look into that. seems complicated.

Wow! The new hdr image lighting output is amazing. I rendered an old internal Blender AO scene render and saved it as an hdr image. Then I fired up Yafray and added the hdr image render of my old AO render.
I didn’t add any other lights.

The Yafray render was now beautifully lit with the hdr of the old AO render. Maybe it’s not designed to work this way but it looks good. Sweet stuff!

Thanks Blender coders!

How did you get the .hdr file to work in blender. It hasent worked since 2.36.

I think, correct me if I’m wrong here, that JA-forreal meant he used the output hdr from blender and not an hdr in blender. And I also think, again correct me here, that (for now) that is exactly what the idea was when the format compatibility was coded.

Did you know you actually can use texture’s in AO in blender? From the originial release docs, " “Sky Texture” this performs a full render of sky color to be used as AO diffuse light. Also note the new “AngMap” option in the texture channel for sky. This allows usage of socalled Spherical Light Probe images."

No hdr files, but if you add a map you can render a scene with only AO and no lights and get the colors from the sky. Still not a true light probe but I would guess, please correct me here :), that is the direction the code is heading.