Radiosity on dark surfaces

(Enjay) #1

i saw the thread on radiosity and everything, but it didnt help with ‘my’ problem. :no:

im gonna enter a large scale art contest, with an animation. this contest will have artsy fartsy picasso people from all over texas competing in everything from sclupture to finger paints. i won the contest last year with a cheapo animation i did on some crappy british animation software. but if i want to win this year and continue helping give animation the recognition it deserves among the art world, i really need to knock their socks off this time around!:smiley:
but im stuck on something… im making an animation about robots. it will be in gray scale but will have strategic lights with color (i.e computer displays, lasers, etc…) but thats where im stuck, the bad guys in my movie are black with red displays but i cant get the frickin red light on their black bodies. come to think of it… i cant get light on anything! the radiosity dont show up in the render. i tried everything i could find, but nothing works.
in summary i need:

1. radiosity to show up on blender render
  2. radiosty (or some other way) to cast light on black or dark objects
  3. radiosity on UV textures
    anything at all will help, i will upload some pics of what ive done so far to give you an idea of what i want. thanks:)

Attachments

0 Likes

(olivS) #2

well… back to basics! But perhaps a first question: did you ever managed to render radiosity, or is it your ery first try?

In any case, consider the answers to those questions:

1. did you make sure the normals of the emitters are oriented toward the areas to be lit?
  2. did you make sure the emitting surfaces has a Emit value?
  3. did you make sure that the surfaces to be lit have the VCol Light option on?
  4. did you make sure that the Radio button is on on each material and also in the render buttons?
  5. did you make sure that the meshes are subdivided fine enough?

here are the few first points to check… tehre are a few tutorials on the web about radiosity. starting to illuminate a single box using radiosity will already give you all the basics of radiosity rendering…

hope this helps

0 Likes

(Enjay) #3

i have played around with the radiosty before but this is the first time i tried it in a real project.
ive done everything except the first one, making sure that they are orinented and stuff. i dont know how to check and make sure they’re in the right direction. i dont need a full blown tutorial or anything but can you tell me how?
and i also heard that if the object you want to have the radiosity light on cant be too close the the emiting object or it wont work. is this true or did some one decide to tell me a bucket of crap.
also i want the red on the robot to show up on the black. the emiter and the reciever are the same object the same object. do i need to seperate them in order to make it work?:confused:

0 Likes

(olivS) #4

check my blog:
http://feeblemind.tuxfamily.org/dotclear/index.php/2007/08/13/88-how-to-solve-blenders-smoothing-problems
1st part, the normal pb. you’ll find the needed pointers within about normal orientation :wink:

0 Likes

(ardee) #5

Simple answer, don’t use radiosity. Just fake it with lamps (unless I’m misunderstanding what you want to do).

Blend file here:
http://www.digital-air.co.uk//lightdarksurfaces.blend

The overspill “glow” can be controlled with the dist value (I’ve set it to 6 in this sample).

http://www.digital-air.co.uk/

Attachments

0 Likes

(Enjay) #6

:eek:holy crap ardee thats exactly what i want! and i can see it will show up on textues too so finaly i can apply the textues.
oh but one more thing i want the red cracks on the side to glow also, would i just use a lamp too?
but thats perfect, im totally open to alternative methods, you always need more than one plan of attack.

0 Likes

(Enjay) #7

okay i got it!:smiley:
thanks alot! i cant wait to start detailing my models and put my cartoon together!

Attachments

0 Likes

(ardee) #8

Looking good, you appear to have understood my feeble sample .blend :slight_smile:
For animation just parent the lamp to the light bulb object so it moves with the mesh and keeps the “glow” in the correct place. You could even animate the “dist” or “energy” value of the lamp for extra interest like a throbbing pulse light type thingy. Or use a spotlight and animate it rotating for an emergency light with siren sound effect. The possibilities are endless :eek:
This method also allows any mesh that moves during the animation into range of the light bulb to receive a wash of red light (wouldn’t have happened with a radiosty solve unless you recalculated for every frame).

http://www.digital-air.co.uk/

0 Likes