Rain Scene - Texturing a Car

Hey all! Forgive me if I’m accidentally breaking any rules but I tried reading them for this board and didn’t really find any that applied here (please correct me if I’m wrong.)

This is my first weekend ever working with Blender (or any 3D besides After effects) and I decided to follow a tutorial for a realistic rain scene, but added onto it by adding a car model (Mustang GT-350R modeled to perfection by OneSteven on SketchFab) I found. I’m going to get into modeling however I had an urge to try out the basics of making a scene in Blender.
Anyways, I’m trying to make a convincing texture for the car paint with the rain dripping down on it however I’m running into a few issues and I was wondering if you guys had any tips/ideas or help:

1. The car paint doesn’t look realistic - I believe that this is because it’s too “perfect” and there’s essentially no actual texture to it.
  2. The rain water ripples on the car also travel upwards, opposite to that of gravity.
  3. The window looks really terrible and obviously fake. I am at a loss for something so simple.

It only is letting me put one photo in so let me know if you want to see more!

Thank you all! You all seem really great and I am so excited to be involved with this amazing community! If you have any other critiques at all, please tell them below, I want to learn as much as possible!

Here is the tutorial I followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35bbyAJodEQ&t=958s

Thanks to:
OneSteven’s Mustang Model
HDR From HDRI Haven
Road Textures from CG Bookcase

2 Likes

Hi Brocton! Welcome to the community!
Great job for such a beginner, let me first say. Here is what I personally have to say about each of the 3 issues you mentioned.
1.While subtle, your right that it could use a bit of imperfection as far as the texture goes. Might I suggest playing around with the ambient occlusion node to see if that will help, use one or a mixture of overlay textures, such as smudges or dirt. You could also paint a texture mask and use a dirt overlay on it to only have dirt and mud on the bottom sides as you see on a real car.
2.I’m having a hard time seeing this problem. It may help to specify where this problem is occurring along with more information regarding this.
3. You are just going to have to figure out what works. If you have not tried this already, may I suggest using a mix of glass and glossy materials until you find something that works.

I, myself, am still a bit of a beginner, but I hope this has helped you at least a bit. Good luck with your scene!