Rainy Day

My Entry for the “Draw This in your Style” Challenge by Devin Elle Kurtz ( @tamberella ). What a lovely creature design.
The fur part was tricky and I spent a lot of time on it (8~10 hours), but I got a good result eventually, my attempts in the previous projects certainly helped a lot. I tried something new with lighting and colors, I don’t think I have ever worked with a bright green palette before, especially not in a mainly monochromatic color scheme. I initially wanted to make a blue background to separated it, but a darker green worked well and looked better, so I went with that instead
Time was my biggest constraint as I was busy with Freelance and other projects, so I had to work efficiently and skip some steps (full modelling, optimized topology, proper rigging, UV Mapping…etc), and chose what parts to polish more than the rest. But for the purpose of making this rendering it works well.
I used Blender for the majority of the work, I also used GIMP for minor texture edits and post-processing. I used my Uber Compositor node ( https://blendermarket.com/products/uber-compositor ) as well to quickly do post-processing.

108 Likes

Clay Render

Color

9 Likes

Wonderful work, congratulation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I concur, this is really wonderful work.

1 Like

Progress :

5 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation. Stay safe, and have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you! :smile:

1 Like

This is gorgeous work. Congrats!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Very nice… And kudos on the feature.

1 Like

Thank you!

Wonderful work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a Uber Compositor client, so I had seen this render when you made the demo video. It’s an impressive piece! A feline forest Spirit! Great job!

1 Like

Thanks!
Using my own products in real-life scenarios helps me improve them! :slight_smile:

Great work, congrats.

1 Like

thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! The abstract style of this, like a tropical rainforest creature made of plants is interesting. Sort of reminds me of Moana. The depth of field really sets the focus nicely as well and I am curious how you did the rain.

1 Like

Really like the fur style

1 Like

Thanks @roslairy and @TheCuriousHobbyist !
For the rain, there were 3 tricks, actually:
The falling rain is just a bunch of spheres with a glass material, I put everything in a collection and made an instance of that collection to make things simple. I set two keyframes to make them move downwards and I enabled motion blur. It was rendered in a separate pass with lower sample count to save time and reduce noise (and also help the denoiser).
For the drops on the leaves, I used an hair particle system and used a smooth hemispherical object with a glass shader, nothing too fancy. For the splash “crown”, I used a fluid simulation in a separate file, when I liked the shape I converted it into a static object and I applied a volumetric shader to fake motion blur and make it look like the falling rain even though it’s static.

Oh, also there’s a layer of small droplets of rain on the fur. To make that, I took the base model of the head, displaced and sculpted it a bit until it was on the same level as the top of the fur. I used a hair particle system to add the drops, then I made that object (the emitter) invisible in the viewport and renders