Ramp Alpha Over node for fade effect?

I’m terrible with nodes in the compositor, but I’m looking to do a semi-transparent gradient effect on a mirrored object to get an Apple-shiny-mirror-product look like this:

I’ve got two render layers composited with Alpha Over, but I can’t figure out a way to ramp the fade of the bottom cube. Here’s my set up:

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if what I’m looking to do is possible, but I just want to fade the bottom cube from semi-transparent to 100% transparent at the bottom of the image. Possible?

1 Like

I think you would be able to do this effect with the texture node with a blend gradient. The ramp node requires an input to process. What you need is a node that outputs a color value or a procedural texture. I needed the ramp node to do the same thing last year with no success, unless I was doing something wrong.

The image below is an example of what I did.

Easilyused,

Attached is a more extreme example of the precedual blend texture to apply a gradient effect in the compositor. I also create a concatenation of blur nodes to smooth out the gradient to create a faux deep greyscale color. I hope this is a better example for you.

I tend to find the use of masks more straightfoward and controllable

1 Like