Rampart synth-Half Life inspired synth / biomechanical walker & metaball hardsurface project [DONE]

Redone the interior since I want it to feel more “organic”, true to its synthetic nature, with tube and guts supported by mechanical structure,…

Almost done, also animated a few background objects like city scanner, birbs, flower movements…

1 Like

Recent update with Cycle X is a blisss for the preview, although it still can’t render volumetric rn since it’s still in experimental branch. SO I was able to test out the lighting with the update time of millisecond, hell yea
Also I just got the idea of making a secondary version of the interior, retrofitted by the Resistance, so it’s going to have a mix of Combine tech and everyday objects like TV, radio, lamps here and there, server stacks,…

Working more on the interior lighting and filling in some more detail, still deciding if I should go for high volume density or low volume density. First one low second high

1 Like

Added in a few more misc detail, this is all of the interior detail so far, I think this is enough hmm

1 Like

Alright boyes, it’s time to sculpt the detail, the project is almost doneee

2 Likes

DONE ! well sort of lol, sculpted details, scene set up, rigged the walker, animated with some simple noise, now it’s just more refining and render.

Final ren should look like this, just animated with some simple background movements

3 Likes

Think you captured the half life feeling quite well, cool project!

1 Like

Metaballs are currently kind of a legacy feature, only kept because why remove it? If you could add any one feature to metaballs, what would it be?

1 Like

This is a rad project. I like the iterative look into it as well. Really fun, well done.

2 Likes

Lots of stuff, such as modifier stack, more editing options like extrude, sliding, shear, more primitive shapes if possible, , … Idk a lot about programming or math so I cant really talk much about how metaballs can be made better. But as of now it is still adequate enough for me to do concept such as this, without metaballs a whole lot of designs sections are gonna be pretty much permanent and not changeable unless I start again.

1 Like

Animation rendering is on the way, but I made a mistake with a part of the design down on the platform, the multi-bar protective wall cause way too much noise during animation so I’ll have to switch to a flat wall now, basically I wasted 10 hrs of rendering lol

Anyway here’s another final render shot

1 Like

More render angle, I think I should switch to an overcast environment for the few next ones

3 Likes

Whole lots of renders are done ! And the animation is taking shapes, some angles here

2 Likes

More interior shot done, animation all rendered, now I just need to composite all 250 frames into a loop with variated movement

1 Like

It’s done and live ! Check it out
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8e06LO

3 Likes