Random

A series of of random extrusions and smooth subdivides.
I just wanted to try something more abstract.
What do you think and which is better?
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/lord_cooper/ab.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/lord_cooper/ab2.jpg

Hmmm… I like the brighter lighting in the second one better, but the object’s edges look better in the first one. In the second one, some of the protruding points look too thin, like it’s sturdy in some places and flimsy in others.

It’s kinda neat, meaks me think of a transmission for a starship. :slight_smile:

Well good use in randomizing the mesh. It does remind me of something like a starship.

Thanks for the quick comments!
I got that impression myself although the modelling process was 100% random.
I was wondering what the outcome would be if I tried modelling in that way

My guess, there’s a 22% chance you’d go blind. :smiley:

For me it’s a crystal. A very nice crystal. What exactly WAS the random proccess?

Basically I subdivided a cude several times and made quite a few extrudes and transforms the the mesh, interspersed with the occasional subdivide smooth with a high value.
That just left lighting and the material which is the wierdest diff ramp I’ve made so far.
It’s all one mesh and material

Can you SubSurf it and see what happens?

Well it made it random, Extrude individual, subdivide smooth with smooth at max and shrink/flatten can produce pretty random shapes.

You know, that might make a fun python script… just a series of random operations performed with random parameters. Apply it to a simple mesh from time to time just to see what inspires you. 'Course, for all I know, there may be a script like that already. :o

There is. The Tesselation script by jms. Or let’s say, it is very close to that.

I’m not a big fan of such random (often called abstract) meshes, though. See what you can do with your newly learned “random modeling” techniques AND some planning / thinking. Now that would be interesting to see.
Hope you don’t get it the wrong way :wink:

Oh and I’d advise to play with Dupliframes, too…at first I was immediately reminded of my own experiments with that…

I sure wouldn’t use it as is in anything that I thought I would want to model much further; Lord knows what kind of wierd, hidden faces might be in there. :slight_smile: However, I bet it could yield some pretty results that might inspire a person to then model something really interesting. Sorta like running a fractal generator with a continous feed of random numbers. Or watching a gaggle of two year olds in the park, the ultimate random number generator.

I’ll try and subsurf it tonight.
What’s shrink/flatten?
And thanks for all the comments

Shrink/Fatten scales and moves faces along average surface normals. It’s on the space bar menu under Transform; the shortcut key is Alt-S. To get funky shapes, go into edit mode, faces, and select all. Do it several times, alternating between postive and negative amounts of transformation.

There’s a tutorial here that uses the technique, although the example values given in the exercise don’t match the pictures show; you really need to alternate between positive and negative values. But you can make some downright funky stuff with it. :slight_smile: